Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running 95 in a Virtual PC on XP?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NeedHelpWin95

NeedHelpWin95

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

I am trying to find a virtual machine that can run Windows 95 to use on Windows XP. I have tried to install Virtual Box only to receive an error message. It would also be fine if there was a way to install 95 on the actual machine itself. Keep in mind this machine can not connect to the internet. The Virtual PCs I tried to install to the machine were from a external hard drive which connects to a machine running Windows 7. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hello NeedHelpWin95 and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

I found some instructions to do so here: http://thecuriousgeek.org/2012/03/installing-windows-95-in-virtualbox/

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 17 July 2016 - 01:56 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 NeedHelpWin95

NeedHelpWin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:06 PM

I tried using Virtual Box on the machine running XP but "WinVerifyTrust failed on stub executable" is the error message I keep receiving. I have tried re-installing and repairing the file but nothing seems to work.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

Do you want to use VirtualBox? How about using DOSBox? https://dsync.blogspot.ca/2014/03/a-complete-guide-to-install-windows-95.html

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 NeedHelpWin95

NeedHelpWin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

I was able to install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on the XP machine. It seems to be working fine and it has the features I want. I followed along with this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmmhvBxhlw8 and everything worked the same way as it did in the video up until 2:55. It says "Starting Windows 95" but instead of going to the blue setup window it lists some information and a command prompt line pops up that starts with "A:\>" as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfEcP4O7EgQ. The ISO I am using is Windows 95b. In the first video a 95c was used.

I think that because I am using 95b I would need to follow the instructions in the second video. If I do what would I do about the floppy drive? Do I have it use the same ISO as the CD drive? Is the virtual floppy drive even needed for setup?

I feel like I am very close to a solution. Thanks for all the help!

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

Follow along with the video 2. Don't worry too much about virtual floppy drive

Github | Keybase

#7 NeedHelpWin95

NeedHelpWin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

I followed along with video 2 and Windows 95 is now installed. There were a few minor things that were missing but they don't seem to be important to running and installing the operating system. Everything seems to be running smoothly in Windows 95! Thank you very much for your help CKing123. Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is a good solution for installing Windows 95! Thanks so much!  :wizard:

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

You are welcome :)

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users