Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glenafton

glenafton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:09 AM

I have been using Norton antivirus corporate edition 7.6.0.0000 and tried to uninstall it so that I may use AVG free. I used the control,add/remove facility,clicked on Norton and remove. After a few seconds I got the error message "Fatal error during installation" I tried to reinstall again but got the same error message.
I went to the Symantec site and printed instructions on how to delete Norton antivirus corporate edition7.5 and7.6. This was only partially successful as some of the items that I was to delete were not listed on my computer. I then downloaded Hijackthis but found no reference to either Norton or Symantec. Can someone please help as the only thing I can think of is to reformat my hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

Try using the information found here:

How to Fully Remove Norton 2004 and newer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/

Norton Removal Tool (You must use Internet Explorer only for this tool to function)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...v=&osv_lvl=

#3 glenafton

glenafton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

I have used both methods that you suggested but both failed. Each one gave me the same error message. Vis.
App Name Symnrt
App Ver 2007.1.0.7
Mod Name ntdll.dll
Mod Ver 5.1.2600.2180
Offset 000111de
That gibberish means nothing to me but hopefully it may give you a clue.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

Disable Norton in your startup menu.

I recommend Startup inspector to regulate the startup menu rather than msconfig, although you can use that instead if you wish.

I prefer Startup Inspector because unlike msconfig it identifies the ap and doesn't change the startup mode if you aren't careful, therefore it is simpler and less problematic to use.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu – helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

After you disable everything Norton and Symantic reboot and use safe mode to accomplish removal as in the post above.

You access safe mode by tapping F8 as soon as the computer begins booting and before Windows starts.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 August 2006 - 10:29 AM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

After disabling Norton in Startup with the Start-up inspector that Enthusiast told you about, try the removal tools again.

Hope it works this time,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users