Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help No Display

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScollarAMD

ScollarAMD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Antec Nine Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case
AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (New)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (New)
MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard (New)
MSI Radeon R7 370 4GB Video Card (New)
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (New)

PSU Failure on previous build
Retained Case, CPU, Purchased new components for upgrade/repair
Ended with no display on post

Verified RAM with known good
Verified VGA with known good
Verified PSU with known good
Bread Boxed build to verify no shorts

Any Feedback Appreciate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Verified VGA with known good

Can you expand on what you mean by this ?  Having eventually found a listing for the back panel connectors it appears there is no on-board video so you only have whatever video card you have connected as video output.

If you tried a different card on this mobo that would suggest a card problem; if you tried the card in a different comuter and it produced a display this would suggest a mobo problem.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 ScollarAMD

ScollarAMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

I've Tried A known Good Video Card In This Machine - Still No Display, I;m Up In The Air As Far As RMA'ing the MoBo Or Purchasing A New CPU To Rule That Out What I was Hoping To Get From these Post Is The Likely Hood Of DOA MoBo Or CPU Damaged by PSU Failure 

I've Heard that CPU Failure Is Unlikely But Am Unsure

Edited by ScollarAMD, 17 July 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:18 AM

Can you explain the nature of the PSU failure? Surge? Capacitor melt?

Also, how does the MoBo not post? Any beeps? If no beeps, try removing RAM and checking on-board speaker.  Almost wonder if you knocked a M-connector when replacing your PSU. 

Edited by Trikein, 18 July 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

What you have just done is a reasonable indicator that your problems lies with the mobo or CPU, but is not conclusive. Have you tried the Radeon R7 in another computer ?  If the card works there then it is definitely not the card.

If I read your OP correctly you kept the old CPU but bought a new mobo. Do you still have the old mobo ?  Since you have bread boarded the components it would not be too difficult to see if that mobo works with your CPU. If it does, then the problem is with your new mobo.

If it doesn't you have the problem that, since your old mobo may be fried, this doesn't prove anything either way. In which case the only thing to do is to see if you can access a computer using the same CPU and see if your CPU works in that.

This sort of fault finding is truly a PITA because you are dealing with three components which are essentially non-repairable and substitution is about the only effective technique if you don't have a test lab handy. I would, like you, be inclined to suspect the mobo since CPUs are reasonably robust  and fairly heavily protected but they can fail, or be blown up.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users