Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

probably a age old question. Comcast internet vs. at&t internet

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

Comcast internet vs. at&t internet.  i looked this one up but all i found was a bunch of # and jargon i cant decipher, can any break down the opinions for me?  thanks my learned ladies and gentlemen and good morning to you all.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 July 2016 - 10:14 AM.
moved from General Chat to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

Who is your provider now?
Are you looking to change providers? If so, what are the reasons you are thinking of switching?

What things did you see that you cannot decipher? It's difficult to give opinions on something when we have no idea what specifics you want opinions about.

Do you have specific questions you want answers to? If yes, post the questions.

Anything else we should know?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 July 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Man different is Comcast is a cable provider, while AT&T is a DSL and fiber (in some areas) provider. First question I would ask is if ATT offers fiber in your area. Next I would check what wiring you have in your house and in the room you want the internet. Cable, ethernet, phone? Also, I think you need ATT phone to get ATT DSL. Last, what are your requirements? Speed? Bandwidth?

#4 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

thank you ms. queen i found the post and putting it here its about halfway down with all the numbers and what not:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/at-t-or-comcast-186583/

Triken i live in a a apt in a apt complex so i dont know what type of wiring there is.  I currently have AT&T and i dont have a phone although when the tech hooked us up he hooked every through a "phone jack" on the wall.  What i want who will give me the most speed and bandwidth.  i dont think im doing to bad considering the modem is down the hall in the living room on the the tv stand but i can feel the strain when i down load games for steam and it takes for ever.  although we are going to move to a house and im going to be able to place my own modem in my new "mancave"  the whole reason for the ? whos better i would really hate to have two different cable company bills...lol.

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 17 July 2016 - 04:15 PM.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

What kind of comparsion are you looking for? AFAIK ATT only offers DSL in Kokoma, as per here, while Comcast offer as per here. Is latency a big deal for you? I would suggest asking your landlord or property manager and see if the apartment is wired for cable/coaxial. Do you see cable outlets in the rooms? Do you have a TV provider?

ATT DSL - 30$/month 1year contract, 6Mbps/?upload, 300GB, 10$ per 50GB over up to 1000GB.

Comcast Broadband - 40$/month 1year contract, 75Mbps/10Mbps, 1000GB, 10$ per 50GB up to 200$.

PS. If you are looking for user reviews of ISP on mass, check out DSLReports. Been around forever.

Edited by Trikein, 17 July 2016 - 05:59 PM.

#6 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

the cable also come from at&t no coax hook up well they use to be.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

AT&T is not cable.

There is a big difference between DSL and cable internet.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Except for Uverse, I don't think ATT offers cable TV. They partner with DirectTV. I think your first step would be to call Comcast and see if your address is even serviceable. No point comparing service you can't get.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

Another way to find out if your address is serviceable by Comcast.

Go here Comcast Deals, Offers, Specials and Promotions

Scroll down the page, enter your address and zip code.  Click Continue.

The system will tell you if service is available by presenting service options.

If not available, you will be informed.

Got questions about the various offerings? Ask 'em in this topic.

#10 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:51 AM

Just be aware that Comcast has TERRIBLE customer service.

I once called them to ask about why they have such terrible reviews online & the guy from the executive dept. which was handled by young kids hung up the phone on me.

I never heard back from anyone again.

I will be moving back to the States soon & the MONOPOLY on ISPs stresses me out to NO END.

Most of the East is controlled by Comcast, so the thought of getting terrible service & then having to call Comcast & deal with bleeps really concerns me. I work from home, so I have to have reliable fast Internet. <sigh>

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

I once called them to ask about why they have such terrible reviews online & the guy from the executive dept. which was handled by young kids hung up the phone on me.

You called their Customer Support to ask why their customer support was bad? Of course they ignored you. What do you think they were going to say?

The reason Comcast technical support can be bad is the same reason any support can be bad; it is difficult to do. Most users don't know anything about computers and don't want to learn anything about computers, but still want to be able to complain. So not only do the support people have to try to fix the user's problem, but they first have to try to teach them how to give the data they need TO fix the problem. It's like someone who doesn't know about cars trying to explain to a mechanic what's wrong with their car, and all they end up telling them is it's color and what type of tires it has. Under those conditions, it's very unlikely the mechanic is going to be able to help, and the user is going to be upset that the mechanic didn't fix their problem. The mechanic may try to explain how cars work in order to pull the information from the user, but if the user doesn't want to learn, this just makes them further upset.  Take this and mix it with the fact that it's difficult to troubleshoot something without seeing it, and that most CSR's handle 60+ calls a day and have to deal with company policies and procedures that slow them down, it becomes almost impossible to get good support. 

#12 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

You called their Customer Support to ask why their customer support was bad? Of course they ignored you. What do you think they were going to say?

The reason Comcast technical support can be bad is the same reason any support can be bad; it is difficult to do. Most users don't know anything about computers and don't want to learn anything about computers, but still want to be able to complain. So not only do the support people have to try to fix the user's problem, but they first have to try to teach them how to give the data they need TO fix the problem. It's like someone who doesn't know about cars trying to explain to a mechanic what's wrong with their car, and all they end up telling them is it's color and what type of tires it has. Under those conditions, it's very unlikely the mechanic is going to be able to help, and the user is going to be upset that the mechanic didn't fix their problem. The mechanic may try to explain how cars work in order to pull the information from the user, but if the user doesn't want to learn, this just makes them further upset.  Take this and mix it with the fact that it's difficult to troubleshoot something without seeing it, and that most CSR's handle 60+ calls a day and have to deal with company policies and procedures that slow them down, it becomes almost impossible to get good support. 

LOL you clearly don't know much about business. When a customer asks about things they have heard that are negative, as a business owner (or the staff), you ADDRESS the potential customer's concerns. That's how biz works.

And you CLEARLY haven't read the myriad of complaints online about Comcast.

I've been using ISPs since '97. First with dialup & then with cable. I have NEVER had an ISP ignore me or behave in such a childish manner & if I did experience that, then I went higher up & got it resolved.

As I stated, this WAS the top of the food chain & this is how I was treated.

I'm sure you are right, lots of people don't know techie things about ISPs. While I'm not a geek, I do know a fair amount & don't need my hand held. In fact, I usually end up knowing MORE than the techie I'm talking to. That's across the board with every ISP I've dealt with.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

::Edit:: Reworded

"LOL you clearly don't know much about business."

I run a technical support business, including my own forum. Are you saying you know more about that business that I do?

"as a business owner"

When you call a ISP technical support and get Tier 1, you aren't talking to the owner. What your describing is the equivalent of bad mouthing the restaurant to the waitress/waiter. If you had data to support it, that is one thing, but you are asking what is wrong, which by it's purpose, is to say you don't know what is wrong. How can you rightfully bad mouth support and then not include data on how the problem is support's fault?

"And you CLEARLY haven't read the myriad of complaints online about Comcast."

Define how this is clear. I have Comcast internet and I am part of 12 different forums. I have see complaints about all ISPs, some of them legitimate complaints but most of them are rants from users who don't understand how the technology works and don't want to learn.

"which was handled by young kids hung up the phone on me."

"As I stated, this WAS the top of the food chain & this is how I was treated."

These two statements contradict. 

Edited by Trikein, 22 November 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#14 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

::Edit:: Reworded

"LOL you clearly don't know much about business."

I run a technical support business, including my own forum. Are you saying you know more about that business that I do?

"as a business owner"

When you call a ISP technical support and get Tier 1, you aren't talking to the owner. What your describing is the equivalent of bad mouthing the restaurant to the waitress/waiter. If you had data to support it, that is one thing, but you are asking what is wrong, which by it's purpose, is to say you don't know what is wrong. How can you rightfully bad mouth support and then not include data on how the problem is support's fault?

"And you CLEARLY haven't read the myriad of complaints online about Comcast."

Define how this is clear. I have Comcast internet and I am part of 12 different forums. I have see complaints about all ISPs, some of them legitimate complaints but most of them are rants from users who don't understand how the technology works and don't want to learn.

"which was handled by young kids hung up the phone on me."

"As I stated, this WAS the top of the food chain & this is how I was treated."

These two statements contradict. 

I don't have to know about that line of business to know how biz is run, & yes I know a bit about your space as I've been dealing with computers & ISPs since what, '97?

I get that most users aren't very swift, but I guess I'm talking about ME & not most users. And you can't tell me that EVERY user is computer illiterate. Not in this day & age.

AND if Comcast worked most of the time, then people wouldn't be calling them over & over again. And I'm not even talking about the 1st level guys. I almost ALWAYS ask for a manager b/c 1st levels 99% of the time are idiots & it doesn't matter which type of company I'm referring to.

But I've read posts from customers about Comcast who sound like they may even know more than me & they STILL can't get Comcast to fix the problem. Or the techie comes out & is an idiot while he's there. Or they keep coming over & can't EVER fix the problem. 

I'm having that issue now with my current ISP & it's scary b/c I need my Internet to work for work.

I once had a year long problem (wasn't with Comcast) that would DC my phone after me being on it for around 10 mins. This drove me INSANE, & I'm NOT exaggerating when I say this went on for a year. 

Suddenly someone who had half a brain figured it out & fixed it in all of 5 mins. He didn't work on the front lines, he worked in the back.

These ISPs hire the lowest of the low when it comes to being tech savvy. They just read a script & can't think for themselves. Plus I think there's a high turnover.

The other issue which NO one ever brings up is the monopoly in this country. 

The US has some of the WORST ISP in the entire world for a first world country.

In Korea the price is dirt cheap & lightning fast AND if you have a problem, they come to your door in.......

WAIT FOR IT..............................

15 MINUTES!!!!!

Edited by ep2002, 22 November 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

"I've been dealing with computers & ISPs since what, '97?"

And I have been "dealing" with cars since I was 16, doesn't mean I know much about them. I haven't taken the time and effort to do so.

"AND if Comcast worked most of the time, then people wouldn't be calling them over & over again."

Incorrect. By that same logic, Doctors and Dentists don't work either. Politicians either.

"I almost ALWAYS ask for a manager"

And that is why they probably treat you like dirt. More bees with honey then vinegar.

"But I've read posts from customers about Comcast "

Ofcourse you read forums posts about bad experiences. Who writes a forum post with positive things to say? If everything is working, no one thinks about or cares how the ISP works. Do you have any concepts of DOCSIS engineering?

"I once had a year long problem (wasn't with Comcast) that would DC my phone after me being on it for around 10 mins"

Me too. Took 3 complaints to the FCC and about 4 months to get the problem fixed and that was after working for the ISP. I made forum posts on the subject and contacted the right people and gave them the right data. Yea it sucked, but I didn't flame in my posts because getting the ISP and other people mad isn't going to help.

"These ISPs hire the lowest of the low when it comes to being tech savvy."

Would you pay a extra 5$ a month for better support? If you notice a problem, come up with a possible solution before bringing it up. They hire the lowest because they are the cheapest. Are you expecting 4 star service at Burger King?

"They just read a script & can't think for themselves. "

That is usually true, yes. However even if you got someone that was smarter then your average bear, your tone and lack of evidence will just escalate the issue. It's called breaking the 4th wall. The person you are talking to is not getting paid much, has taken probably 20 calls from grandma trying to change the channel on their TVs, and then they get you telling them how much they stink. How would YOU act? 

"The other issue which NO one ever brings up is the monopoly in this country. "

This country? Have you used internet in other countries? And there are like 6 different ISP, with most areas having many other smaller local ISPs. While I still there there is a lot of room for improvment, we aren't anywhere near the Monopoly that Ma Bell had. 

"In Korea the price is dirt cheap & lightning fast AND if you have a problem, they come to your door in......."

I call bull fecal on that. But by all means, please move to Korea if that will fix your problem. I hear North Korea is pretty nice this time of year. 

Edited by Trikein, 23 November 2016 - 08:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users