Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

Hello,

Mozilla Firefox has recently just stopped being functionally useful so I deleted it from my system with the intention of reinstalling it. Whatever is wrong with the program that didn't help so I want to delete every trace of this program but I cannot delete the actual Firefox folder from my Program files. I keep getting "You need admin" whatever, over and over again. I am so pissed right now that my original idea of cleansing my system of Firefox and then reinstalling it has gone out the window. I want to go Al Capone on this program: "I want it dead! I want it's family dead! I want it's house burned to the ground!"

I want quits with Mozilla forever and want all traces of this program removed. Can anyone help with this?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 July 2016 - 08:09 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to the appropriate forum

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

For when you are told you don't have access to certain folders, there is something you can try.

There is a registry hack which will allow you to take ownership. I've been using it for several years on various Windows 7 systems and now on Windows 10, although what I wanted to take ownership of has always simply said Access denied and I never was told to contact the administrator. Up to you whether to try it or not.

Details and download are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ (while it has Vista in the URL it does work with Windows 10)

Download, unzip, then install.

Take ownership will be added to the right click context menu. Right click on the folder/file name, choose Take Ownership.

When chosen, the cmd will pop up and run. Depending on the folder it may take a while.

There are a few folders that will not allow access after taking ownership.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 July 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#3 B5Anteros

B5Anteros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

I will give this a try and let you know what happens. I've tried taking ownership by following some other suggestions and so far nothing has helped so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#4 B5Anteros

B5Anteros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

Thank you so much!! It worked perfectly! I could have prevented so much wailing and gnashing of teeth if I had just come here first.  :clapping:

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

I'm glad that worked for you.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

"...I want to go Al Capone on this program: "I want it dead! I want it's family dead! I want it's house burned to the ground!"   I want quits with Mozilla forever and want all traces of this program removed. Can anyone help with this?"  -- thread starter

What are you going to do if Windows stops working [temporarily]?

Edited by RolandJS, 18 July 2016 - 11:11 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 B5Anteros

B5Anteros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:22 AM

"...I want to go Al Capone on this program: "I want it dead! I want it's family dead! I want it's house burned to the ground!"   I want quits with Mozilla forever and want all traces of this program removed. Can anyone help with this?"  -- thread starter

What are you going to do if Windows stops working [temporarily]?

LOL. That would be a disaster. It's happened, with other machines I've had. I've done many restores. But not on this one yet.  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users