Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor out of range

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 C3rcaTr0va

C3rcaTr0va

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

I have a monitor that I am hooking up to a Raspberry Pi however it says that it is out of range, When I hooked the Pi to another monitor it worked fine. And when I hooked the out of range monitor to another PC I still got the out of range error. Is the monitor bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C3rcaTr0va

C3rcaTr0va
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

I have a monitor that I am trying to hook up to a raspberry Pi how =ever when I do hook it up it says out of range. but when I hook it up to a different monitor it works just fine. On the other hand when I hool up the siad monitor to the pc I recieve the same out of range message. Googling the problem tells me to change the refresh rate but it does not even show up as dual monitors so how can i  make the nessary changes.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

What monitor is it and what connection type? Generally, you'd find out what you're going to need to change the settings to for the non-working monitor, make sure the operating monitor will also display that resolution and refresh rate, make the change and then swap the monitor.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:19 AM

See the user manual of the Monitor to find out if you can factory reset the settings of the Monitor.

Posted Image

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

Try setting the PC to 800x600 resolution at 50 or 60Hz refresh - something that absolutely any monitor should be able to do - & then connect the "out of range" monitor - if it still doesn't work it's scrap (or the video cable is U/S).

Edited by rqt, 17 July 2016 - 05:46 AM.

#6 C3rcaTr0va

C3rcaTr0va
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

It is a genaric monitor. (tvs) and it is a VGA connection. I can not get either PC to reconize the non working monitor. It either says no signal on out of range. Anyway thanks for the help it was only $10 off craigslist so it was not that bad of a loss.

#7 C3rcaTr0va

C3rcaTr0va
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

New info. When I had it hooked up to the laptop I think it detected it because everything I would open would show up on that screen and not the laptop. Like it was the primary. then when I rebooted it the log in screen was on the problem monitor. So it can be detected I just can not change the settings.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

When the monitor is displaying the log in screen from the laptop, can you log into Windows from there? If you can, you could see what resolution and refresh rate the laptop is using and set the other systems the same. If it goes out of range when you try to log in, we'd need to know the model number of the monitor to see if we can find specifications as to what refresh rates and resolutions it can display.

Edited by Platypus, 17 July 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

There's a special version of 10 for the Pi - are you using it?

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-on-the-raspberry-pi-what-you-need-to-know/

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot

I agree with rqt - setting to to a default value that's commonly supported is the most likely way to make it work.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

The out of range error usually happens if refresh rate for the monitor is configure to high or low from operating system or graphic card controller software.  

Edited by FreeBooter, 17 July 2016 - 12:08 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

This was being discussed in two topics, they are now merged.

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

Even if generic, is there any kind of ID or model number? Or is there a way to find it's native resolution via it's menus? If you can find that, adjust your VGA output to that resolution and refresh as forced custom mode.

Main problem is HDMI uses HDCP and VGA doesn't so when you boot, monitor doesn't handshake with Pi so Pi defaults to RCA output. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users