Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Software For The Family..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amking

amking

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:23 AM

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of recent research to 'catch up' on things as I prepare to setup two new laptops for the wife and daughter (neither are 'technical' in the slightest, but needed laptops for school/work.. ), but there really doesnt seem to be a whole lot of info/recommendations out there for security software for the non-technical. I dont think it would be wise or fair to force 'my' security software on them (nod32 for av, zonealarm pro for firewall, random spybot/adaware sweeps here and there.. oh, and spyware blaster gets a random run every now and then and was used to initially 'secure' the browsers). Anyway, I really think that zonealarm/etc 'pop-ups' are going to cause the most problems (wife always clicking 'deny' b/c of paranoia and daughter always clicking 'allow' without a thought), and wanted to see if there were any other recommendations you guys had for a 'family friendly' firewall and/or anti-virus (free or not) that will do its job without bothering them too much. I obviously want to give them something better than the windows firewall, but am worried about zonealarm (free or pro) popping up quite a bit. AV wise I was thinking maybe to go with the free version of Avast since other people have said its 'bulkier but fairly user friendly'. I'm open to any suggestions really, and would prefer to go with a freeware version as they wont be doing anything serious (beyond im/email/surfing and basic office work).

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amking

amking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:03 AM

anybody? =X

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

Hi amking.

Those allow/deny questions can be very confusing so personally, I use Kerio Firewall in simple mode, no questions=no wrong answers.
For AntiVirus I prefer Avast for its automatic updating and ease of 1 click dealing with what it finds.
AntiMalware is up you, my preferences are in my sig below.

Good Luck

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 14 August 2006 - 05:41 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

You might try Sygate Personal Firewall, which allows you to manage permissions by application; you could then quickly and easily set permissions and reduce the number of pop-up requests dramatically.
AVGFree is also relatively easily to use, and seems to be less resource intensive than is Avast, at least on some computer configurations.

If your family is going to use computers, however, it seems to me that they are going to have to learn some semi-technical aspects just to keep secure. BC has some excellent Tutorials on using many security products that you can download and then print for their reading. Also are several good pinned discussions about the necessary steps to remain secure. Some introductory reading and discussion will pay big dividends, since the best security device invented is a reasonably informed user.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 amking

amking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

alright thanks for the replies so far, i'll give kerio a try and look @ avast again..

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

Maybe I should add that Kerio free version in simple mode does nothing but what Windows Firewall does.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 14 August 2006 - 03:17 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 amking

amking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

thats.. not good D:

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Mr Alpha

Didn't realise that.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:00 AM

This would explain why I passed grc.com Shields Up but failed the Leak Test.
Couldn't change the settings in Kerio so have installed SygatePF as recommended by jgweed.
Will go and do some testing.
Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users