Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook running very slow on PC (other sites and mobile version fine)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 quakekill

quakekill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

Hi there, I've been having some trouble with Facebook for the past week or so. I first noticed that Facebook was loading considerably slower than most other programs; YouTube works, online video games are fine voice and video chat programs (Skype, TeamSpeak, etc) all working perfectly. The mobile browser version of Facebook works fine, as does the Messenger application, however on all PC browsers the site is slow (I've tried Chrome, IE and Firefox). Naturally, my first though was that there was server trouble, but the problems have persisted and have seemingly become much worse over the past five days.

When it was clear the problem wasn't going away I checked to see if Facebook was down, but it wasn't, I did a speed test at the same time and my download speeds were normal. I cleared my cache, cookies, etc, but no luck. Flushed DNS, still no luck. I've disabled AVG AntiVirus to see if that was the thing causing issues, but nope, still the same problem. I suppose it's also worth noting that this problem seems to fluctuate; most of the time Facebook takes upwards of two minutes to load, but for short periods the site functions without issue. This just recently occurred and I was able to navigate Facebook with no issue, each page would take less than two seconds maximum to load. Yesterday it seemed as if the problem had magically disappeared and I was able to surf Facebook for upwards of half an hour before it started to slow down again.

Any ideas what this may be? Could it be a virus or something similar? I ran a Windows scan for spyware/malware and am currently scanning with AVG, but it's taking an aeon to complete.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Okay, two new developments in the fifteen minutes since I posted this. First of all disabling Windows Firewall seems to have some effect on the load time of the page, but it's only marginal, some pages load instantly, others take 10, maybe 20 seconds to completely load. Secondly, I've noticed that Facebook upgraded to version 2.7 on 13th July (outlined here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/apps/changelog), this correlates with when problems started occurring for me, so could this perhaps be part of the problem? Actually scratch that, had I actually payed attention I would have noticed that that is apparently for Android.

Edited by quakekill, 16 July 2016 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

Try creating a new user account and going to Facebook in that new user account?  Any better?

#3 quakekill

quakekill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

Unfortunately not, same problems as before.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

My best guess at this point is an issue that is out of your control...either on your ISPs end, Facebook's end, or some where in between.

About the only thing else that I can think to try is a computer with another OS. Any friends who have a Mac who bring it over for a test? Or you could download a live CD/DVD version of Linux. Then you can see if the same issue happens on another OS in a browser that is accessing the desktop version of Facebook.

I suppose the other thing to try is to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the same problem happens. This should eliminate all non-Microsoft memory resident programs. If it helps, then one of those programs is causing the problem. If it does not, then it is either Windows related issue or out of your control.

#5 quakekill

quakekill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

I think you're probably right there. Somehow the problem seems to have sorted itself out; whether this is just another one of those short periods of normal functionality I don't know, but Facebook has been working normally since not long after I posted my reply. Thanks for your assistance anyway!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

Always glad to try to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users