Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rhythmic clicking of hard drive...any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jamichelli76

jamichelli76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

I have a Seagate laptop hard drive that suddenly stopped working. The platters spin up and the heads move...so the heads aren't stuck on the platters. But...the heads just keep moving back and forth in a rhythmic pattern...any ideas on what the issue with this drive is?

I have a video of the open drive spinning...here's the video: https://youtu.be/Yx__xPDITTw

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

Probably the Board is cactus , and being open for a long time collects dust etc , say goodbye to that drive.

Ive opened drives in a clean enviroment and reset the head and assembled within 5 mins and worked ok.

Some ive replaced exact type of board and 50/50 chance of success.

If you have no Data on it - i would bin it , no worth the effort these days to try and resurrect it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users