Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 stuck at "Starting Windows", new HDD

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 k0smos

k0smos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hello, this is my first time posting here. To be quick, I'll try to explain this as simple as possible.

I have a Samsung NP-RV520 S01SE. It got some hits, so it's been struggling untill finally, the hard drive died. I got a replacement, put it in, put in a USB key to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and it hangs on "Starting Windows". Tried 3 other copies, keeps crashing. Thought maybe a DVD would do, but to my disappointment, my ODD is also messed up. Went to BIOS, turned off UEFI, forced AHCI to be enabled, still doesn't work. Came up with a stupid idea, connected my new HDD to my desktop PC, installed everything, used sysprep.exe to set it up again on my laptop, disconnected it from the PC, put it back into my laptop, hangs on "Starting Windows" (as I understood it still needs installation files from the USB to setup again). Okay, that didn't work, put it back into my PC, tried to setup again, got an error. Did a fresh installation again, didn't do anything with sysprep, let the updates configure, put it back to my laptop, this time with no USB key. Still stuck on "Starting Windows". Tried safe mode, stuck on CLASSPNP.SYS. Tried "Launch startup repair", got a blank screen after "Windows is loading files".

My keyboard tasted a cup of beer a while ago, so it keeps pressing "+++++" until I press "-" (I still use an external one though). On the bottom of the laptop it says "Home Premium". No bad sectors. Memory seems fine too. No "secure boot" option in BIOS.

Maybe I just need to use "Home Premium" instead of "Ultimate", 8.1 Pro (best option yet) even? Or maybe the drowned keyboard is making this happen? Does anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance.

Update: same thing happens with Windows 8.1 Pro USB.

Edited by k0smos, 16 July 2016 - 09:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 k0smos

k0smos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

Bump. Anyone?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

What O/S was originally installed on this laptop?

Do you have a valid license for the Win 7U install?

An OEM system which has had the hard drive removed and then had Windows installed on said hard drive while hard drive was in a different system...can be expected to have problems, IMO.

Louis

#4 k0smos

k0smos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

It was Windows 7 Home Premium. And I don't know if it's still valid, but yes, there's a license key on the laptop. You think I should give it a try? By the way, thank you for your response.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

Try the following. SecureBoot off but enable UEFI and AHCI in settings. Boot your USB flash drive with Windows 7. When you get to this Window press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart   -   Open the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X  -  Where X is the number of the disk you are installing Windows to. This will be 0 if you have one disk

clean             -   This will delete all partitions currently on the disk

convert GPT  -   Initializes the disk as GPT in order to boot when UEFI is enabled

exit                 -   Exits out of diskpart

exit                 -   Exits out of command prompt

Click on next to continue the install

If you have an iso of Windows 7 use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. When running rufus select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

I would stick to trying to install...the Windows version matching the valid license that I have.  If no valid license for Win 7U...leave that uninstalled.

Louis

#7 k0smos

k0smos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

Tried both (UEFI and AHCI) on, tried UEFI off and AHCI auto, still the same. And I can't even get to the installation, it gets stuck as soon as it is booted. Right after the "Windows is loading files" screen, I can't get past the logo. Sorry, I suppose I didn't mention this small, but important detail.

To not double post, I also tried making a UEFI bootable flash, same error occurs. I will try to boot an OEM copy of Home Premium that is "UEFI ready" and I will let you know how it went. Making a bootable USB at the moment. Now trying with MBR scheme, if it doesn't work, will try the GPT.

Edited by k0smos, 17 July 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

An OEM system which has had the hard drive removed and then had Windows installed on said hard drive while hard drive was in a different system...can be expected to have problems, IMO.

Louis, the OP used sysprep.exe to generalize the hdd.  This removes all of the drivers Windows installed for the start process.  When the hdd is installed in another computer Windows will search for the needed drivers and select these.  Because of this the computer should be able to boot into Windows without any problems if they didn't restart the computer again until it was installed in the other computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

Does that generalize the license used?  OP states that he has valid license for OEM system...for Win 7 Home Premium, while OP tried to install a version of Win 7 Ult8imate.  I don't think that the sysprep command has anything to do with a situation where it is not established that OP has valid right to install/use stated Windows version.

I could be wrong.

Louis

FWIW

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2016 - 02:12 PM.

#10 k0smos

k0smos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

Hello again, so, to update and summarize this thread, installing the OEM Home Premium version helped. I don't know if it was nescessary for me to install Home Premium though, it just happened I tried it first and succeeded.

Here's what I did:

Responding to JohnC's advice, when using Rufus to make my USB flash bootable, I tried to change the "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI" to GPT, but I couldn't find it (probably because of using Windows XP 32-bit), there was no such option. But it did get me on track though. Instead I chose "MBR partition scheme for UEFI" (remembering, that my copy of Windows 7 is UEFI ready) and for my File System I chose FAT32. UEFI in BIOS is turned On, AHCI is Auto. And what do you know, it boots, doesn't get stuck on the first "Starting Windows" logo anymore.

After that, I had a problem (in case someone "Googles" it) with partitioning my hard drive. The setup couldn't manage to format my C: (on which I had another copy of Windows 7 that didn't work) and D: partitions. Thought simply deleting the C: partition and re-creating might fix the problem, with no luck though, setup was unable to create a partition. I started "Googling" some more and found the Shift+F10 DISKPART method, tried it, succeeded at creating a partition. But then there was this problem that I couldn't understand is why the setup doesn't let me install Windows on it. Then I noticed the error message saying, that it needs an MBR partition scheme instead of GPT to be able to do something in my hard drive. So what you need to do is simply delete both existing partitions and recreate them both and that's it, you can't have two different partition schemes on one hard drive (as I understand it).

So, the setup went on, completed successfully and here I am, giving you a BIG THANK YOU from my laptop.

Solved, cheers!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for taking the time to post your solution. In my experience if all partitions are deleted in the the custom advanced window pressing next will cause Windows 7 to automatically partition and format the blank drive. It is not necessary to create your partitions ahead of the install.

#12 k0smos

k0smos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

Forgot to mention, the "Next" option was grayed out, there was a message below the partition box something like "Windows cannot install in this partition" until I got it fixed like I said.

Edited by k0smos, 17 July 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

Does that generalize the license used?  OP states that he has valid license for OEM system...for Win 7 Home Premium, while OP tried to install a version of Win 7 Ult8imate.  I don't think that the sysprep command has anything to do with a situation where it is not established that OP has valid right to install/use stated Windows version.

I could be wrong.

Louis

FWIW

Sysprep.exe will have no effect the license.  But if you install a different version of Windows than what the OEM license was intended for you may be able to make the installation, but you will not be able to activate it.  Windows will recognize that a different version has been installed.  If there is a different motherboard or CPU Windows will recognize this and will not install the needed drivers to start the operating system.  OEM Windows is meant for one installation and only one computer.  In this case the operating system is truly tied to the motherboard.

I have a couple of new construction projects going which are leaving me physically beat.  Because of this I missed the fact that they had tried to install a different version of their Windows operating system.  If they had used another computer to install the version that  came with the computer and then used the sysprep.exe it would have generalized the hdd and they would have been able to install the hdd back in the original computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, Dan, for the clarification :).

Louis

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users