Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Sever with Server 2012

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 csrinuwan

csrinuwan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hello,

I'm planing a file server for 40 users with server 2012. There will be 15 major folders to be shared among different department. The relevant folders must be mapped to relevant user and the user will be member of different groups. 

What would be the best strategy to accomplish this.

Thanks, Chanaka

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Are you setting up folder redirection, or just granting users access to folders and file shares?

Set NTFS permissions for domain local groups created for that purpose. Add users to global groups, then add the global groups to the relevant domain local groups to gain access to folders. If you are setting up folder redirection, you'll need to set that in Group Policy.

#3 csrinuwan

csrinuwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the comment - I'm not planing folder redirection but GPO for the mapped drives.

Best Regards, Chanaka

#4 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

I would use group policy preferences for that task. Its the newest way of mapping such folders, printers, and is filled with a lot of useful stuff. I love it myself. 

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

Use the same domain local groups you use to map the NTFS permissions to scope the drive mapping group policy as well. Makes things easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

Well as you are using a server simply use a GPO to map the drives bvut then target them using either location or SID of the group.

Simple mate and the most effective.

GroupA uses drive F:, GroupB uses drive F: and Z: etc etc, then assign Share and NTFS permissions based on SID of the group.

#7 High_Technology

High_Technology

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Wooah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users