Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Internal HDD not Being Recognized by BIOS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 alonectorch

alonectorch

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:36 PM

So, (I feel ashamed as I've had this problem for a good 7 months) in Christmas 2015, I built a gaming computer with help from folks at my nearest big computer store (everyone there is very knowledgeable, all their computers run on a modded command line operating system that networks with the other computers and even has built in BBS with their closed network), and I used a GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI motherboard and a Seagate ST1000DM003 1000GB Desktop HDD, and around two months of owning the computer, the BIOS randomly stopped detecting the HDD. Most of the time it wouldn't detect the HDD, but sometimes, with no apparent reason why, it will work fine. I have switched out the two 6 Gbps SATA cables between the HDD and my DVD Disc Drive, and there was no improvement. I tested both the cables, as they never fail on my Disc Drive, and a while ago I took my computer in to the place I built it, it's called MICRO CENTER, and they said the drive was passing the smart test, but they also said there was no data on it. I decided that it must have wiped itself, and I put it away, as I thought I was going to use my 2-Year Warranty and send it back for replacement. Today, after my grandfather, who is a retired computer engineer, my friend who took a year long college level class on computer engineering, and the person who analyzed my HDD at MICRO CENTER all said that I should just try using it again, and if it wiped itself again THEN send it back, I decided I should take their advice. I hooked the HDD up, turned on the PC, and the HDD showed up in the Boot Menu. I booted it up and there was no data gone, contrary to what the guys at MICRO CENTER said. I was really happy for a while, until my audio stopped working, so I decided I would reboot, and when I tried to reboot my HDD was not being detected. After hours of stress and switching SATA cables, I'm about ready to give up. Can anyone help, or point me to someone/somewhere that can?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

You can download the Seagate utility for testing functional status of a hard drive...run the long generic test (will take 90-120 minutes, my estimate)...and then tell us whether th the verdict is "Pass" or "Fail".

The SeaTools for DOS utility doesn't care whether the hard drive boots or not.

Please...read the instructions provided for using this tool.

SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html

Louis

When attached to another system...does the drive read as "RAW"?

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:32 AM

Have you tried using different SATA ports?  Have you tried temporarily disconnecting the optical drive for a while and see if that helps?  And as suggested by hamluis, have you connected the drive to another computer?  If so, does the data show up?

To be honest, the problems with the drive AND you mentioning the sound cutting out, I cannot help but wonder if there is a problem with the motherboard.

#4 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

UPDATE: after falling asleep and getting up again, writing the seatools.img to my flash drive, in the boot options, my HDD appears. I'm not surprised, as if I leave my HDD alone for a while it seems to work fine, and then if I reboot, there's a good chance it will not be detected. I am going to proceed with the SeaTools for DOS option I have already started, if this is not what I should do, please say so

#5 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

You can download the Seagate utility for testing functional status of a hard drive...run the long generic test (will take 90-120 minutes, my estimate)...and then tell us whether th the verdict is "Pass" or "Fail".

The SeaTools for DOS utility doesn't care whether the hard drive boots or not.

Please...read the instructions provided for using this tool.

SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html

Louis

When attached to another system...does the drive read as "RAW"?

Also, there is no other system in my house I could attach the drive to. My father's PC is pre-built, and he'd kill me if I took it apart, even if I knew what I was doing, and other than that, I have two vertical integration laptops, so there's no way for me to test it.

#6 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

UPDATE: after falling asleep and getting up again, writing the seatools.img to my flash drive, in the boot options, my HDD appears. I'm not surprised, as if I leave my HDD alone for a while it seems to work fine, and then if I reboot, there's a good chance it will not be detected. I am going to proceed with the SeaTools for DOS option I have already started, if this is not what I should do, please say so

I got into SeaTols for DOS, and it did not detect my hard drive, yet my BIOS did, even after rebooting. I am currently in windows, and if you'd like to know, if the HDD is detected in the BIOS, it never quits while I am in windows.

#7 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:43 PM

I got into SeaTols for DOS, and it did not detect my hard drive, yet my BIOS did, even after rebooting. I am currently in windows, and if you'd like to know, if the HDD is detected in the BIOS, it never quits while I am in windows.

I didn't want to waste power while taking a shower, so I put my PC into hibernation mode. I wanted to see if it worked, so I turned it on again successfully with the keyboard, but my HDD wasn't being detected again, and the SeaTools software can't detect it either. The sound was working when I got into windows earlier, and yes, I have used different SATA ports, and I think I currently have the optical drive unplugged, but I forgot what the optical drive was so I'm not sure if I have the optical drive unplugged

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

Also, there is no other system in my house I could attach the drive to. My father's PC is pre-built, and he'd kill me if I took it apart, even if I knew what I was doing, and other than that, I have two vertical integration laptops, so there's no way for me to test it.

You can put the drive in an external enclosure, use a USB universal adapter (here is an example: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/), or an external drive dock (here is an example: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U3S3HD/) to hook it up to another computer. No need to take that computer apart.

Edited by smax013, 17 July 2016 - 10:52 PM.

#9 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

is there anything else I can do before I have to go out and buy something?

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2016 - 07:32 PM.

#10 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

UPDATE: after rebooting and switching sata cables, and ports for a good hour, my hard drive was detected again. I'm going to move my data onto a secure micro SD card before I do anything else.

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#11 alonectorch

alonectorch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

UPDATE: after two successful reboots and putting my pc to sleep instead of hibernation, it blue screened when I woke it up and when I rebooted the same old thing was happening again.

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2016 - 09:11 AM.

#12 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

Wonder if the Power supply is going bad, the random missing and then returning makes me lean towards that or the mobo.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

Seagate never issues a firmware update unless they really need to!  Follow the instructions on the page; but, only do it when you think the PC will work for 10-15 minutes, OK?

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223651en

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

is there anything else I can do before I have to go out and buy something?

If you want to try the drive with another computer and don't want to open up the computer, then probably not. The only possibility is if you know someone who has one of those items that you can borrow.

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Did you do the firmware update? As I said, Seagate doesn't issue one unless they have a real problem.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users