Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Did I accidentally format my whole HDD?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NoFlowerPolicy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

Intel core i5-4460

Windows 10

Unfortunately this is all I know (she's not in the same country).

I'm asking this question on behalf of my girlfriend.

She has a desktop PC that had started to run quite slowly and wanted to transfer all her files to an external harddrive and format the partition she was using for her files, and merge it with the main windows partition.

She used a program called AOMEI to do this. Once she completed the format of the drive and merged them she decided to restart her computer. Upon restarting she came to a 'reboot and select proper boot device' screen. 

She tried selecting anything else as a boot device but every time it goes back to this screen.

Is her data on the windows partition gone, can anyone shed any light as to what has happened here? Thank you in advance.

Also, we were on Skype as she did it, she restarted and in the usual time it takes to boot it got to that screen. She also said she checked the drive before restarting. They were merged and the drive had some space taken up that had originally been on the windows partition.

Edited by NoFlowerPolicy, 16 July 2016 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

• 55,010 posts
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

I can't say...not enough data about situation provided...but a standard onscreen warning with just about any software which can format/erase/merge partitions...tells the user to do a backup because "things may go wrong".

If the merge was done improperly...I suppose that the boot partition could have been wiped out or damaged.  If the boot files were in some partition that no longer exists...that would explain it.

It a timely backup was indeed made...I would just either clean install or restore to factory defaults.  Before I did that...I would run a diagnostic test of the hard drive to verify that it is fundamentally sound.

And...there is always the possibility that the hard drive is at fault.  Just what was done to "check the drive before restarting"?

I have only questions, no answers for your situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users