Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 OS got corrupted - can boot in Safe Mode only and can't do a restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seaoharewhy

seaoharewhy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi All,

Thanks so much for this excellent site, first of all. I'm hoping to get some help reinstalling my operating system. Here is the issue:

I'm using an HP Envy Core i7, 16gb RAM, and a 1 TB SSD drive on Windows 8.1 -- if you need more info, please let me know. The machine is about 2 years old

The last few times I restarted my system, I noticed it took slightly longer to reboot. Then it took several minutes, and I was about to take it in to be looked at when it stopped booting at all. I am able to boot it now only in safe mode, by tapping shift + f8 on a restart, and then selecting the 5th option (restart with network and safe mode -- something like that). Unfortunately, I can not seem to do a factory reset or a system recovery/restore, as none of these options are available to me in this mode. 

I have backed up all my data so I would just like to do a clean wipe and re-install of WIn 8.1 (or even Win 10), but I can't figure out how to do it from here. HP wanted to charge me $150 and have me send it in (out of warranty) and the obnoxious PC repair guy down the street wants $200 to do this. My hunch is that there must be a way I can do it myself, whether that means making a bootable OS on a USB or something else? 

Would anyone be willing to help me out with this one? I'd be super grateful and will be happy to buy you a virtual beer! clear.png

Thanks in advance,
Cory

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

Does this laptop have a recovery partition or do you have a set of recovery disc or a recovery USB stick ?  It sounds like it is time for a re-install. I think this is the servicing manual for your laptop and it says some do and some don't have recovery partitions !

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317166

You will find recovery instructions starting on p.102 of the document. Failing that, if you have access to another computer I believe you can still download the 8.1 ISO from MS  and create an install disc or USB stick from that. You would need the 64 bit version of whichever OS type - home, professional - you have installed.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users