Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to become computer technician

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fozzer2016

fozzer2016

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

hi now i know i did another post on getting a job as an it technician , buti would like to be a computer techichan/repair as it focuses more on computers rather than anything IT related. How does one get into this field i have a basic knowledge of hardware and built my own pc. what qualifications do i need to get into this line of work or are people self taught if anyone can give me some links that could help me further my knowledge i would be truly grateful.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Would you be interested in working in a retail store's computer service/repair department as a part-time if not full-time paid apprentice?  Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, and small computer store/fix-it places might be good places to search out.  Books route -- there are very likely good guys at stores such as Half Priced Books and other similar type bookstores.  Education route would range from ITT to local community colleges/local universities with both 2-year and 4-year degree programs, and beyond.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

I agree with RolandJS. Try Fry's Electronics. If you're looking at qualifications / certifications than getting the CompTIA A+ would be a great starting point. Best thing to do for experience is maybe find a local non-profit and donate some time for helping maintain their infrastructure. It would look great on a resume and you'd be helping people out. Since you requested some helpful links here you go:

1. Computer Repair Podcast - this a YouTube channel with GREAT input from professionals currently in IT
  2. Eli the Computer Guy - watch some of his earlier videos on IT in general. 
  3. Professor Messer - Watch his A+ videos if you are wanting to go that route

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask here :) Good luck! :thumbsup:

#4 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

I completely agree with the answers above. Trying to get experience is the best way. I know in Australia, it will be quite difficult to get experience in that exact line of work until you show you have done a course or are serious about putting the work into it. For this I would highly recommend getting CompTIA's A+ certification as Vince has pointed out. In Australia we also have TAFE (Vocational Educational Training) which provide courses about IT support/repair - I think in America it would be equivalent to community college/tech school.

But all these are just so you can get a job in the field. Once you get one then you can decide how to progress!

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

CompTIA A+ is the base certification.  I'd advise against the Frys and Best Buy route, fixing personal computers isn't fun.  You have no idea of what last worked or what they did to break it.  In a corporate environment you have more standards and users don't do as many crazy things.

Once you get your certification post your resume to Dice, Monster, and Indeed.  Take some of the contract work that you are offered that meets your requirements, don't jump at the first offer if it doesn't meet your requirements, i.e. pay and distance.  This will get you experience and you'll get a better idea if this is what you want to be doing.  Working contract work gives you a lot of experience with a lot of different technologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users