Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Opens Programmes When Not Asked

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jprocks

Jprocks

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post the question so please point me in the right direction if not.

I turned on my PC today after a complete shut down from last night. It is a leno ideacentre. When I started the PC first thing I noticed during boot up was "Auto check not found, skipping"

Then when Windows finally booted up the mouse stopped working and vanished. I swopped over keyboard USB port with Mouse USB port and that sorted that out. Then several programmes started up all at once. Several times I received the message "Windows is not responding." When I eventually started Chrome it opened not several but literally tens of tabs if not hundreds. I did not count them but there was a hell of a lot. 

Now if I click the Windows logo in the bottom left hand corner of the screen nothing works there as in no column pops up to select apps.

I have run Zone Alarm and that reports no virus.

One thing I have noticed is my PC is hot to touch. It is raised off the table by four blocks to ensure their is air current running underneath the PC. However I live in Portugal and today the temparture has been 38 degrees centigrade. With that said though I ran the PC all last week (Just moved here) and no problem. 

I have also just yesterday been reconnected to the internet so have attached a direct line to my new router. 

The system info is this:-

Organization: Workgroup

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1511

OS Build: 10586.420

Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA771

Processor Intel® Core™ i3 CPU  M370 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz

Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)

System Type 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

Pean Touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Any advice most welcome please.

Also as my internet is new it may be that I have intermittent online activity. I have not gone away just frustrated. Cheers JP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

Try using a laptop cooling pad to force more air into the laptop.

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jprocks

Jprocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:35 PM

Hi thanks for the reply and here are the zipped files...

Attached Files

#4 Jprocks

Jprocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Also if this helps here is a screenshot of the temp...

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

Yes, the laptop appears to be getting hot.  73ºC is the max that the system has reached during this session - so it's possible that it gets higher under stress.

Ensure that the fan is working.

Blow out all the vents with canned air (DO NOT USE an air compressor or a vacuum - as they can physically damage the system)

I would strongly suggest a laptop cooling pad to force more cool air into the system.
BUT, I'd also get it looked at to see if the cooling problem can be fixed.

If you're confident in your abilities, you can take it apart and check

Use videos on the web to figure out how to open the case and disassemble/reassemble the cooling components (with fresh thermal compound).

If you're not confident doing this (it's a chore that I dread at work - it's not fun for me), then get a pro to do it for you.

Get an estimate first, as it's likely to cost a lot.  In most cases that I see, the charge is for 2 hours of labor and labor is generally $75/hr (US)

The Admin log file seems suggestive of hardware problems.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the hard drive diagnostics, as I've seen a number of disk errors (on 13 July 2016) in the Admin log

Your UEFI/BIOS (version DGKT12AUS) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

If the problems continue after this, then we'll get another set of reports after you've fixed the overheating issues.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Jprocks

Jprocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:42 AM

Hi thanks for the info. My Lenovo is that old it appears they do not recognise the serial number, great just great. I have emailed their support on this so hopefully will get back to me. Shall be getting a cooling pad to sit underneath. Shall blow the air through as well and if after this I shall take to a PC shop. Luckily I live in Portugal and life here is very very cheap. :)

#7 Jprocks

Jprocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:47 AM

Quick update Lenovo did get back and there are no BIOS updates available...

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:08 AM

You have to wonder if the system is compatible w/W10.

I had a Lenovo x61t laptop that originally came with Vista.  I tried to update it to W8 and had many, many problems with it.

I took it to Microsoft with me on a trip - where other MVP's and Microsoft employees worked on it without success.

Reverting to Vista solved all my problems - so we had to conclude that the problems were due to the age of the BIOS and that it didn't fully support W8

#9 Jprocks

Jprocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

Hmmm a good point. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users