Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows can't be installed on Drive!?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Satavahana

Satavahana

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

So recently my computer for some reason doesn't want to start up, it ask to do the troubleshooting thing. I knew this wouldn't work because last time something like this happend to me. So I went on my Mac ( The one which I'm writing this topic in ) and downloaded a Windows installer tool and used the Boot Camp Assistant to use my pen drive as a Boot installer..

So now that I have my pen drive, I plug it in my Computer and boot it up to that. The installer works fine, but up until I get to the part where I actually choose which Drive I want my Windows to be installed, there are about 4-6, ( I partitioned 1 Disk to 3 [ C , D , E ]) I choose the Disk number 0 and it says it cant be installed in that because it's a GTP or GDP type disk, I formatted it from that menu and it still didn't work.. I even tried for other one still didn't work?

What should I do??!

Edited by Satavahana, 16 July 2016 - 11:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

Bootcamp Assistant includes its own Mac drivers and it only installs on a special type of GPT that tricks Windows into thinking it is MBR. Using it to install on other (not Mac) computers won't work.

If you can, use Disk Utility to create a bootable USB. Follow the instructions here

Or, you can use the MediaCreationTool on another Windows pc to create a bootable USB

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Satavahana

Satavahana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

I can't understand what to do!

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:11 AM

What make you think Windows 10 Startup Repair or reverting Windows 10 to a date when it was working using System Restore tool wont work. Each issue with Windows OS not same one issue Startup Repair could not repaired does not mean Startup Repair will not work for any other Windows boot issues. Also you have not describe the Windows 10 boot issue is there a error message or does computer display blue screen with messages.  If you want to reset Windows 10 without deleting your personal files then you need to boot  Windows Recovery Environment follow the instructions at Microsoft website link. If you want to clean intall Windows 10 then you will need to delete C: partition and any other partition that you have not created yourself and install Windows on unallocated space.

Using the Startup Repair tool from the Recovery Drive can help you get a problematic Windows 10 system back to a bootable state.

Recovery options in Windows 10

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 Satavahana

Satavahana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

What make you think Windows 10 Startup Repair or reverting Windows 10 to a date when it was working using System Restore tool wont work. Each issue with Windows OS not same one issue Startup Repair could not repaired does not mean Startup Repair will not work for any other Windows boot issues. Also you have not describe the Windows 10 boot issue is there a error message or does computer display blue screen with messages.  If you want to reset Windows 10 without deleting your personal files then you need to boot  Windows Recovery Environment follow the instructions at Microsoft website link. If you want to clean intall Windows 10 then you will need to delete C: partition and any other partition that you have not created yourself and install Windows on unallocated space.

Using the Startup Repair tool from the Recovery Drive can help you get a problematic Windows 10 system back to a bootable state.

Recovery options in Windows 10

The last time I had this kind of issue, I tried all of the options which Windows recovery tool ( the blue screen one) and none of them worked out. And this time the same kind of issue, so the Tool wouldn't work so the solution last was installing a fresh copy of windows, so I'm trying to do the same thing this time. But Mac can't create a bootable device for windows as CKing123 stated. And the solution which he has provided, I am not able to understand what to do. 

Basically I'm asking how to create a bootable device for installing the Windows OS on my Windows PC!

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) happens for many reason mostly buggy device driver or faulty component its your choice not to try any recovery tools.
Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool  and follow the instructions of this tool to create either bootable USB flash drive or DVD media. Also instructions for creating bootable Windows 10 media is at Microsoft link.

Edited by FreeBooter, 17 July 2016 - 10:10 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#7 Satavahana

Satavahana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) happens for many reason mostly buggy device driver or faulty component its your choice not to try any recovery tools.
Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool  and follow the instructions of this tool to create either bootable USB flash drive or DVD media. Also instructions for creating bootable Windows 10 media is at Microsoft link.

Dude you don't understand, I'm asking you on how to create a bootable device in Mac to a Pendrive so that I can use that as a bootable device for my PC which isn't working right now and install a fresh copy of Windows in that, Since I used Boot Camp Assistant it's compatible format is GTP and it's asking for something like EFi or UEFI something, and how do I THAT not anything!

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

Wait, by blue screen do you mean this (aka Recovery screen):

37134f84-423c-47dd-99cb-8d4b3337638f.jpg

Or this (BSOD):

650x373xwindows-8-blue-screen-error.png.

Its best if you don't reinstall yet, but its your computer and it is your choice. You should first try to repair the computer. If you do want to reinstall, then download the Windows 10 iso from here

An iso file has everything you need to create a bootable flash drive or DVD installer

Next, use Disk Utility to put the installer into the USB from the iso by following the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22250?locale=en_US

I don't have a Mac anymore so I can't provide screenshots. If you don't understand this, let me know and we can look for alternative ways

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 17 July 2016 - 10:58 AM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

you are now more clear before we thought you will create the bootable Windows 10 from PC. I must say google is your friend there are lots of instructions on how How to create a Windows 10 installer USB drive from a Mac.

I must say the Windows can't be installed on Drive error usually happens if you try to install Windows 10 on a MBR disk and you have not enabled Compatibility Support Module (CSM) mode that provides legacy BIOS compatibility the UEFI firmware can only boot from GPT disk.

Edited by FreeBooter, 17 July 2016 - 12:18 PM.

- Dalai Lama

#10 Satavahana

Satavahana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

Wait, by blue screen do you mean this (aka Recovery screen):

Or this (BSOD):

650x373xwindows-8-blue-screen-error.png.

Its best if you don't reinstall yet, but its your computer and it is your choice. You should first try to repair the computer. If you do want to reinstall, then download the Windows 10 iso from here

An iso file has everything you need to create a bootable flash drive or DVD installer

Next, use Disk Utility to put the installer into the USB from the iso by following the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22250?locale=en_US

I don't have a Mac anymore so I can't provide screenshots. If you don't understand this, let me know and we can look for alternative ways

-CKing

I meant the first one: and in that none of the available options work so I know that re-install is the only option

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

I must say the Windows can't be installed on Drive error usually happens if you try to install Windows 10 on a MBR disk and you have not enabled Compatibility Support Module (CSM) mode that provides legacy BIOS compatibility the UEFI firmware can only boot from GPT disk.

- Dalai Lama

#12 Satavahana

Satavahana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

Sooo what do I do?

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

First lets check your setting within BIOS setup utility if you enable UEFI and Secure Boot Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 can be install on a GPT disk if the disk you want to install is MBR disk and you want to install on MBR disk then enable legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module (CSM) mode setting and disable Secure Boot. You cannot convert GPT to MBR or MBR to GPT disk without deleting all partitions on the either disk style there are programs that can convert GPT to MBR or MBR to GPT disk but i don't know they will work on MAC OS. I must warn you the disk style conversion can go wrong and you can lose all your personal files.

Learn to Convert MBR Hard Disk to GPT without Data Loss through Powerful Software

- Dalai Lama

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

@FreeBooter Mac's Bootcamp Utility converts GPT to a special type of GPT called hybrid MBR which tricks Windows into thinking it is MBR but both Mac and Linux recognize it as GPT, and the startup is a bit slower as it has to enable BIOS compatibility. Apple removed support for this on newer models when Windows 8 came out due to it supporting both EFI and GPT, but I am not sure which model the OP has. It's why Bootcamp created bootable USB's are a bad idea

@Satavahana If you are seeing that screen then don't reinstall just yet

When that screen comes up:

Click Advanced Options > Start-Up Settings > Restart

When this screen comes up, press f4 to go to Safe Mode

win10_safemode_13.png

Can you boot to Safe Mode?

Edit- Both FreeBooter and me posted at the same time. First, don't reinstall just yet. We may be able to repair your computer

Edit 2- If you have a newer model, it doesn't use hybrid MBR so you should be able to use that pen drive to install on Windows. That said, it doesn't computers using MBR

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 17 July 2016 - 12:34 PM.

Github | Keybase

#15 Satavahana

Satavahana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

@FreeBooter Mac's Bootcamp Utility converts GPT to a special type of GPT called hybrid MBR which tricks Windows into thinking it is MBR but both Mac and Linux recognize it as GPT, and the startup is a bit slower as it has to enable BIOS compatibility. Apple removed support for this on newer models when Windows 8 came out due to it supporting both EFI and GPT, but I am not sure which model the OP has. It's why Bootcamp created bootable USB's are a bad idea

@Satavahana If you are seeing that screen then don't reinstall just yet

When that screen comes up:

Click Advanced Options > Start-Up Settings > Restart

When this screen comes up, press f4 to go to Safe Mode

win10_safemode_13.png

Can you boot to Safe Mode?

Edit- Both FreeBooter and me posted at the same time. First, don't reinstall just yet. We may be able to repair your computer

Edit 2- If you have a newer model, it doesn't use hybrid MBR so you should be able to use that pen drive to install on Windows. That said, it doesn't computers using MBR

-CKing

Can I try in few hours because it around 12 in the night here, and I have school. :)

Thank alot for the help given so far though! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users