Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop apps from virustotal.com: question/opinion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi

I'm frequently using the site https://www.virustotal.com/de/ to scan URL's and files. The site is also
offering desktop apps for windows and for android. I want to install this desktop tools(android/windows):

VirusTotal Uploader:

VirusTotal's browser extension for Mozilla Firefox, VTzilla:
...this add-on is still "experimental" or "preliminarily reviewed" . So i'll wait and
install it maybe some weeks later when the "final" version is available. 

For Android there is only one tool: VirusTotal for Android.

I'm already using on my laptops (with 8.1 and W7)  :

real-time scanner:
"F-secure internet security 2016"

on-demand scanners:
"Malwarebytes anti malware free"
"zemana anti malware premium"
"adw-cleaner"

On my Android devices i'm only running a real-time scanner: "Bitefender Antivirus free".

The question:
should i instal this tools from virustotal.com on my laptops/androids? i'm worried about (possibly) crashes/conflicts
when too many anti-virus tools are installed on one system.....  ....but i think: all tools from virustotal.com have no "real-time" protection  so they will not cause any issues with installed AV-softwares.....

thanks a lot!

>>>>LASERzzzzzz>>>>>>live from EUROPE....Germany.....live from EUROPE....Germany.....live from EUROPE

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 16 July 2016 - 10:50 AM.

....i dont like CHAOS but CHAOS likes me! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:54 AM

The upload tool from VirusTotal is not an AV. There will be no conflict with AV.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

Nice to see someone actually using F-Secure product. Does F-Secure Internet Security 2016 have any bugs, heavy on resources, slow down your system,  applications speed or browser speed? 

#4 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:47 AM

I'm using F-secure since about 3-4 years on 3 Laptops (W8.1 and W7): didn't have any crashes, no bugs, no error messages from the software...

.....just running fine in the past years. I didn't noticed any performance issues: F-Secure is runing on two "gaming" laptops (both i7, GTX 970M and GTX 860M, both with SSD). My third laptop is an average machine (i5, GT540M, no SSD): also in this case i didn't notic any performance issues....

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 17 July 2016 - 04:48 AM.

....i dont like CHAOS but CHAOS likes me! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!!

#5 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:08 AM

I'm using F-secure since about 3-4 years on 3 Laptops (W8.1 and W7): didn't have any crashes, no bugs, no error messages from the software...

.....just running fine in the past years. I didn't noticed any performance issues: F-Secure is runing on two "gaming" laptops (both i7, GTX 970M and GTX 860M, both with SSD). My third laptop is an average machine (i5, GT540M, no SSD): also in this case i didn't notic any performance issues....

Man, I'm pretty envious of you owned two gaming laptops lol. How many processes does it show in task manager? And what the RAM usage like on everyday use? 

#6 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

....i'm a hard core gamer since "commodore 64"  .. :D.  need "powewrful" machines/laptops for LAN partys... (desktops are simply too big)

I made a screenshot of processes/RAM usage of F-Secure on my laptop "msi-GE60-2PE" (i7, GTX860M, 8 GB RAM, SSD, W7)

I used the software "process explorer" ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/process-explorer/ )

The second column is: "CPU"

The third column is: "private bytes"

The fourth column is: "working set"

SvbSaF8.jpg

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 17 July 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#7 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:13 AM

....i'm a hard core gamer since "commodore 64"  .. :D.  need "powewrful" machines/laptops for LAN partys... (desktops are simply too big)

I made a screenshot of processes/RAM usage of F-Secure on my laptop "msi-GE60-2PE" (i7, GTX860M, 8 GB RAM, SSD, W7)

I used the software "process explorer" ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/process-explorer/ )

The second column is: "CPU"

The third column is: "private bytes"

The fourth column is: "working set"

SvbSaF8.jpg

I have never use Process Explorer, so I have no idea what is private bytes and working set, but the CPU usages and processes kinda moderate to me. Anyway back to the topic discussion, no the VirusTotal app will not conflict with any of your security applications because it does not do any real time scanning, but the app is kinda redundant to me when you can visit the site and upload whatever you think is suspicious. 

Edited by ATY, 18 July 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#8 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

....just started the simple "Task Manager": i think this should be the answer to your question:

90dVElG.jpg

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 18 July 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:45 AM

There's also the VTchromizer extension for Chromium-based web browsers.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/documentation/browser-extensions/google-chrome

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users