Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My favorite password manager

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

I latched onto a password manager several years ago and loved it. As time went on I found it even more and more useful. What is it? keepassx.

What I like about it is it has compatible versions for linux (of course), Android, IOS, OSX and Windows. It just so happens that Dropbox does, too. So I keep the database in Dropbox, install both on everything and open the exact same database everywhere. Not a copy of the same one that needs to be continually updated. The exact same one that gets updated everywhere as soon as a change is saved.

The only thing it doesn't do is give access to the database when your phone or tablet have no connection. There are workarounds for that (at least, I know one for Android).

There are a lot of good managers out there. Everybody has their favorite. But this is the only one I know of that works as well as it does and makes it easy to keep in sync on everything I may want to access it from.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2016 - 11:17 AM.
Moved from Linux to All Other Apps - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Pleased that at least someone can report a satisfactory performance from one of the many password  managers.

Based on consistently good reviews (how often do they miss the mark) I installed LastPass.

I can not recommend it. 

One typical "failure" When I reached this website LastPass should have auto logged me in. It did not!

Lots of other examples where it's quicker to just guess one of my several low security passwords, than it is to search the LastPass vault for user name & password. I have them all set to auto log in.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Pleased that at least someone can report a satisfactory performance from one of the many password  managers.
Based on consistently good reviews (how often do they miss the mark) I installed LastPass.
I can not recommend it. 
One typical "failure" When I reached this website LastPass should have auto logged me in. It did not!
Lots of other examples where it's quicker to just guess one of my several low security passwords, than it is to search the LastPass vault for user name & password. I have them all set to auto log in.

FWIW, I have used 1Password for years and have always been happy with it.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

I like KeepPass too. Mac version needs some work when compared with the Windows version.

#5 blingblingbling

blingblingbling

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

I use Roboform.

#6 AllenSteve

AllenSteve

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:56 AM

Roboform seems a good one for me.

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:43 PM

QUESTION:  Is the program being insalled versus just added as a browser extension or plugin something that makes any big difference?

I tried a few chrome extensions for password managers and found them too difficult to learn to use and absolutely difficult to use.  

More recently, I INSTALLED LastPass, and although it gives some problems, it basically is not too hard to use once it's setup.

#8 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:30 AM

I see there is considerable experience in PW managers but it remains difficult to gauge the effectiveness of those mentioned.

I suggest that future posters are careful to say why they are pleased (or displeased) with their SW of choice.

Perhaps also what others have been tried etc ............

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:44 PM

I see there is considerable experience in PW managers but it remains difficult to gauge the effectiveness of those mentioned.
I suggest that future posters are careful to say why they are pleased (or displeased) with their SW of choice.
Perhaps also what others have been tried etc ............

Personally, I like 1Password because it works on Macs, Windows, iOS, and Android (the last matters less to me as I don't currently use Android). It is a separate application that has browser plug-ins. So, it is "outside" of the browser, but still works with browsers. And I like that it is not a pure online service (although they now have their own online/subscription version for those that like it). I like that I can have it be either completely offline if I want, partially online (i.e. use DropBox or iCloud to sync the encrypted password file), or more or less fully online (using their subscription service). And I like that they actively support their software and have good customer service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users