Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - 64 bit stuck trying to download July MS updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 debodun

debodun

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

What is preventing MS monthly patches (updates) from downloading? It is Saturday and since Wednesday, my system has been trying to download these updates and using ±50% CPU of a svchost.exe (stsyem) file. I've been looking for a solution and wanted to get another opinion if this would work without compromising my system:

change download setting to "Never check for updates"

reboot

download and install June 2016 rollup for Windows 7 SP1 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3161608)

reboot

change download setting to "Install updates"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Clicking on the link above will automatically start the download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

- It's the usual Windows Update (WU) problem. To solve the problems, one needs to manually install one update. The procedure - as described in post #1 - is right but one needs a different Update.This month's update is KB 3168965. Check every month this webpage:

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

- Keep us posted.

#4 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

Too bad we now have to jump through so many hoops.

#5 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

for what it is worth .....mine seemed to hang on updates. i re-set updates to recommended and shut it off over night. i awoke with ESET asking me to allow 9 ms updates ,i did not let eset install them,i went to programs and picked the ones i want to update. all seems well now.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

- "Jump through hoops" ?? It's quite straight forward IMO. One only has to know what to do in what sequence.

#7 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

for us mere mortals working on putors it IS jumping through hoops.................windows update troubleshooter did not help and as far as krelay cite...........come on dude

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

- "Jump through hoops" ?? It's quite straight forward IMO. One only has to know what to do in what sequence.

Unfortunately there are several problems associated with Windows update for Windows 7 in particular. I've seen tutorials which address these problems from very reputable websites, such as Sysnative and Windows Seven Forums.  Even for the initiated this does resemble "jumping through hoops".  Your suggestion have not worked 100% of the time, so I'm sure you can relate to this.

There is a bug in Window 7 updates which can cause the updates to take as long as 20 hours to download which can cause the CPU usage to peg during this time.  Once the updates are installed and you check to be sure of this the cycle of looking for updates would start again.

The following is a direct quote from a post by BrianDrab, a moderator at the Sysnative website.

"Checking for Windows Updates and it seems to never finish and the CPU is pegged during this time (you may or may not notice the CPU issue) then this may help you. In most cases if you let it continue to check (up to 20 hours) it will find the updates. Then you would install them and then check and it would repeat the cycle.

This was a hard to track down bug and was finally fixed by Microsoft in the June 2016 Update Rollup. It was a problem with the file win32k.sys. Download and install this update directly. Please note that there is a prerequisite. You need to ensure that you have KB3020369 - April 2015 Servicing Stack update installed. To check if you have this prerequisite installed you can follow the instructions at the bottom of this article or simply download and attempt to install it and your machine will notify you if it is already installed.

In one instance, after installing the update, checking for updates finished in 19 seconds vs 18 hours that it used to.

Checking if Prerequisite is Installed
1. Click your Start button and type cmd into the search box.
2. Click on cmd that shows up in the search results. This will open up the command-prompt window.
3. Type or copy/paste the following into the command prompt window and press enter on the keyboard.
systeminfo|findstr KB3020369 <-----for clarification you would type systeminfo followed by bar character followed by findstr followed by a space followed by KB3020369. On many keyboards the bar character which looks like a vertical bar is located above the enter key and you need to hold down the shift button before pressing this key to create it.
bar%20key_zpsmdbe3pvk.png
4. If the update is installed you will see one line of info returned as follows. The number in [brackets] will likely be different and can be ignored.
Code:
[172]: KB3020369
"

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

@DC3:

- Agree. Not everything I suggested did work. But I never claimed such a thing.

- Installing the "Convenience Roll Up" as described in that SYSNATIVE thread could/does work (in certain circumstances) but I have seen more cases where the "Roll Up" wasn't successful than cases where it was successful. That's why I prefer to use the info from

On top of that the "Roll Up" update can/will take A LOT OF time to get installed. Whereas those security updates are installed rather quickly.

- And if you have read that entire SYSNATIVE thread you''ll see that I replied to the person that started that thread.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:26 PM

There're 2 reasons why installing the "Convenience Roll Up" is NOT the best way to solve the Windows Update problem:

1. It takes - AT LEAST - some 40 to 60 minutes to get that update installed whereas the updates of

each take much less time. Each under one to 2 minutes.

2. The entire list with previously installed updates will be wiped.

Source:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4542.0.html

Edited by Willy22, 18 July 2016 - 08:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users