Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want either NO security software, or pre-installed Norton Security

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

I have tried online shopping but anything I find has either MacAfee products for security & protection or something else, but nothing I found comes without security software and nothing I found comes with Norton Security.  I am trying to find a low-priced notebook/laptop computer either without any security software or with Norton Security.  Is this possible?   (O.S. must be Windows 10).

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2016 - 07:30 AM.
Moved from Buying New to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Security software comes bundled with any computer (these days) based upon the recognized need for such...and the fact that there is a partnership between system manufacturers and security software vendors that facilitates the install of unwanted software on any OEM system.  This is done in spite of the fact that Microsoft provides security software as part of any O/S that is more recent than XP.

Any unwanted software or bloatware which a user may find on any purchased OEM system...can be uninstalled from the system via the mechanism which Windows employs for eliminating such.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

The bundled security programs are generally a trial for 30 or 60 or however many days.
They want you to use it, decide you like it and purchase it after the trial expires.

As Louis stated, it (along with other bundled stuff you don't want/need) can easily be uninstalled prior to installing your choice of security program.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

Many OEM manufacturers provide trial versions of anti-virus programs preinstalled on computers as part of their software package. It is not uncommon for a computer manufacturer to partner or enter into an agreement with a well known anti-virus vendor (Norton, McAfee, etc) to include their product as part of a marketing strategy for generating revenue. Computer advertisements that say they include anti-virus protection is a selling point for many buyers. When the trial period expires, the user will have to either remove the software or purchase the full version in order to keep using the anti-virus software. Since most folks know very little about computer security and anti-virus software, many tend to keep whatever came with their system when they first purchased it. Thus, the anti-virus vendor recaps the cost of providing the trial version for free.

If you need to remove a preinstalled anti-virus you do not like or want, be sure to read Steps for Replacing your Anti-virus.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

You might want to rethink wanting Norton installed.  If it is installed you will want to update it immediately.

Edited by Kilroy, 20 July 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#6 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:44 AM

You might want to rethink wanting Norton installed.  If it is installed you will want to update it immediately.

Good fine mang. This can be another reason that I can add to my list of why antivirus causing harm than good. 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:49 AM

IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

Good fine mang. This can be another reason that I can add to my list of why antivirus causing harm than good. 

ATY, I must respectfully disagree; having a well-planned, well-layered defense, which begins and ends with the end-user being the most responsible and most accountable unit within said defense.  Quietman7's several posts relating to security are apples of gold upon a platter of silver.  Heed his wisdom and the wisdom of others mentioned within his posts.

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2016 - 01:44 PM.
Corrected membername for intended response - Hamluis.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for the warning, Kilroy, but I am as careful online as I know how to be.  Also, upon any version or product upgrade of the Norton's, the expected practice IS TO RUN LIVEUPDATE immediately.  Best guess is that new installs of any security and protection software should be given a definitions or infections and product update following the install and activation.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

...Best guess is that new installs of any security and protection software should be given a definitions or infections and product update following the install and activation.

Yes that would apply to any security software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users