Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking for Updates never, NEVER finishes any more.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:12 AM

Is this how Microsoft forces us to upgrade to Windows 10?  Last week I kept Checking For Updates going for at least 9 hours, TWICE; but the checking never finished.  Some weeks earlier, doing it for 7 to 8 hours was enough to make the updates found and downloadable, but no longer so.  Nothing else to resort to other than buy a new computer with Windows 10 on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joezapp

joezapp

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

You are having the EXACT same problems that I had. And, yes, Microsoft is trying to force us into buying Windows 10.

Thank to the help I received in this forum from the fabulous Imacri, I am going to save you a lot of time and aggravation. Here is what you need to do:

1) download KB3168965 for your system (mine was 32 bit)

2) unplug from internet OR stop WU process using Task Manager

3) install KB3168965

4) restart and plug back into to internet OR restart WU

Then check for updates manually and install as per usual. It will take just a few minutes!

IMPORTANT: You no longer want Windows Update to even check for updates automatically. Everything needs to be manual going forward. You want Patch Tuesday to pass each month, and then you need to find that month's KB file that needs to be pre-installed so that you can run windows update normally.

Check back here at Bleepingcomputer in August, as this is likely going to be a permanent monthly ritual going forward!

Best,

Joe

#3 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hi cafejose:

Further to joezapp's post, step-by-step instructions were posted on 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  I tested this workaround on my own 32-bit Vista machine before installing my June 2016 and July 2016 Patch Tuesday updates and the initial "Checking for updates..." phase finished in about 20 minutes (compared to 5 or 6 hours in April and May).

My entire July 2016 Patch Tuesday update session, including download, installation, and monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool scan, took about 40 min after I pre-installed this month's Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update KB3168965 (MS16-090: Security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers: July 12, 2016).

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0.1 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

I have trouble understanding your post #3 and what it referred to, but I may/will try the KB3168965, at least.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:24 AM

Not good.  I downloaded the 2.33 MB file, KB3168965 to desktop, turned off the internet (button on front edge of computer) so was made disconnected from computer; and then opened the downloaded KB to run the file - it said 'searching for updates', but not understand how it could search for any updates if computer is disconnected from internet.  After a few minutes, I shut the KB update installer.

I looked in MSconfig to see if I could disable WU, but it was already shown as "STOPPED" and I found no way to otherwise disable it nor to try to turn it on.  Just is listed as STOPPED. 

Not sure what to do here or what to expect.  Maybe I will just try running this KB316895 updater again with internet connected and see what happens.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

How long is this KB install supposed to take?  Windows Update Standalone Installer, Searching For Updates, still running.  Only supposed to be 2.33 MB, so do I need to let this run for several hours?

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

How long is this KB install supposed to take?  Windows Update Standalone Installer, Searching For Updates, still running.  Only supposed to be 2.33 MB, so do I need to let this run for several hours?

Hi cafejose:

Please try the step-by-step instructions posted on 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  These instructions are based on Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ but include additional hints to avoid problems like the one you've described. This includes:

• Disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot to terminate any Windows Update sessions currently running on your system. (Step # 1)
  • Search your installed updates to ensure this month's Win32K.sys update KB3168965 (MS16-090: Description of the security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers: July 12, 2016) is the only Win32K.sys update listed on Dalai's webpage that is missing from your system (Step # 3)
  • Temporarily disconnect from the internet and re-run the .msu file if the installer still gets stuck on a check for updates (hint for Step # 5).  On my computer, these .msu files run to completion and request a system restart in one or two minutes.

You should also download a new .msu installer for KB3168965 to your desktop as instructed in Step # 4.  If you follow the link on Dalai's webpage for 32-bit Vista (the x86 version) it will re-direct you to the correct download page on the official Microsoft Download Center.  The .msu installer for 32-bit Vista (Windows6.0-KB3168965-x86.msu) should only be 1.2 MB in size.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0.1 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 19 July 2016 - 06:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users