Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung won't boot, then hangs when trying to access recovery

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Pamap13

Pamap13

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

Laptop was lagging badly n task manager stopped responding so I had to manually shut down. When I tried to restart got the "your pc has encountered an error and needs to restart" and now am stuck there. samsung np270e5j
Tried pressing f4 at startup to go into recovery but all I get is "please wait" then black screen. Looked on couple other support sites and all said to use recovery disks.. I don't have them and was told by support when I first got my laptop that I don't need them because of the recovery drive... Ugh
Went into bios to see if could boot to recovery drive but not an option. Please help. Don't have access to another computer so using my iPhone and kindle to try n get help. Thanks so much for any assistance x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

Try F7 or Esc. If you do a reset all the personal data and programs you installed will be erased.

http://www.blog.tenorshare.com/how-to-factory-reset-samsung-laptop.html

Edit: Try the following and do a System Restore, not Reset.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 July 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#3 Pamap13

Pamap13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

Tried the powering off and on and after 3 tries still got the your computer has encountered... Should I be waiting in between each power cycle? FYI as not sure if makes a difference but I did go into bios and shut off the fast start and have removed battery and released the stored power. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

It may take up to 4 tries but I would not do anymore than that. No need to wait between power cycles. As soon as you seen the turning circle power off. 

Have you tried tapping Esc at boot? Did that bring up any menu? Also F7 may work where F4 fails.

I know you posted that you do not have access to another computer but perhaps you can ask a friend to burn you a copy of Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool. Using the install disk allows you to do a System Restore or Refresh. 

#5 Pamap13

Pamap13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

Have tried esc and f7.. Em pretty sure that f4 is the right one.. As get the please wait message but then screen goes black (am used to seeing the black screen as that is normal at start up but usually for a few moments). Prior to all of this I noticed a decrease in performance so I checked for browser/flash/Java updates and then ran a system scan with my cleaner and ran a full malware scan. Other than the usual privacy issues and junk files no results from either. I will see if anyone can burn me the files you reccommended but not very hopeful as Em the one everyone goes to with their pc woes.

#6 Pamap13

Pamap13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

One quick question, is there a specific kind of disk that should be used? Ie R or RW?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

If someone will create a bootable disk of Windows 8 using the Media Creation Tool it would also help if they would also burn a disk of UBCD. This would allow you to check your hard drive to see if it is failing using Seatools for DOS or if Seatools for DOS does not detect your HDD use Parted Magic which is part of UBCD. On the Parted Magic Desktop is an icon called Disk Health or GSmartControl. Parted Magic would also allow you to recover any personal data on the HDD if the drive if the problem is with Windows and not hardware related. Do both the short and long tests.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You can use R or RW but for the Windows Media Creation Tool a USB flash drive can also be used. 

#8 Pamap13

Pamap13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

Ok thank you.. Posted a note to my friends pleading for help in getting the disk.. So fingers crossed hoping someone can. thank you again for all the help, will update if anything changes.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

Do you by chance have a local library with computer access? You may be able to download and burn the iso on an available computer.

#10 Pamap13

Pamap13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

So I pulled out my old compaq presario laptop and attempted to burn the media creation tool using a dvr +r but even though they say 4.7mb on them when trying to burn only said had about 3.2mb available and it said that needed to have at least 4mb for the download. Not sure if can burn it to two disks or not and if that would even work? If it will also wanted to know which type of format do I use for the disk? Thanks again for all the help and patience x

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

Instead of opting for the Media Creation Tool to burn the iso for you I believe there is an option to download an iso file and then use your computer to burn the iso to disk. The presario could use Imgburn to burn the iso to disk or if you have a spare USB flash drive available you could use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive.

A blank DVD+R should be sufficient for creating a Windows 8.1 install disk. Is the DVD+R a new blank disk?

#12 Pamap13

Pamap13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

I was able to get a flash drive but before I download anything onto it I would like to confirm what all I should download. Will await your reply x thanks x

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:13 PM

You need to download the Media Creation Tool I linked to in my post #4 for Windows 8.1. You download the tool and double click it to start the creation process. If you have a flash drive you can either have the Media Creation Tool directly download and create the flash drive or use the iso file option which has the advantage of letting you save the iso file for later use for creating another bootable disk or flash drive. 

The only problem is you must have Windows 7 or later in order to use the Media Creation Tool. I am not sure if the tools works on Vista but you can try it.

#14 Pamap13

Pamap13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

I have Windows 7 ultimate on my presario. The main reason for my hesitation was because wasn't sure if I needed to format the flash drive to be a bootable flash drive (was reading the info on the ultimatebootdisk link u had posted) anyways will download the iso tool u had posted to the flash drive and see if can get my lappy to boot from it.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:35 PM

The Media Creation Tool will format the USB flash drive if you allow it to create it automatically to the flash drive so any data on the drive needs to be backed up first. If you use an iso file with Rufus that will also format the drive. The Media Creation Tool is downloaded to the hard drive and not to the flash drive. Run the Tool from an admin account.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users