Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saruman

Saruman

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hello guys,

I recently got my Toshiba A665 Laptop back from servicing: new battery, cleaning, and software install including ESAT antivirus.

I opened the box and reconnected everything as normal before starting up from the button.

I receive only the complete black screen meaning there is no graphic signal at all, no cursor or logos.

The keyboard gradually lights up, sound appears to work and the HDD signal lamp blinks.

I have tried disconnecting and pressing Shift + F8 but this does not help. I do not want to send it back again so is there any way I can investigate this and possibly fix it? After all I have paid a lot of money for the servicing.

I am suspecting a graphics hardware problem at the present but it may be any number of things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

Can you try connecting an external monitor?

Most laptops have either a VGA port or an HDMI port on the side for connecting an external monitor.

There should be some sort of warranty on the repair that you paid for.

Contact the servicing company to see what options you have.

Are you able to boot from a CD/DVD?

You can try a bootable copy of MemTest86 (not MemTest86+) as it will boot on both BIOS and UEFI systems:  http://www.memtest86.com/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Saruman

Saruman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hi Usasma,

Thank you very much for your kind help on this one. Well, excuse me but after investigating it appears the laptop does go into a normal boot. There is Startup sound and I used a flashlight and confirmed that there is something on the screen so maybe the graphics card is working anyway. So now I'm thinking it's either a backlight fail or inverter problem. I tried screen brightness using the F keys but nothing changed so it may be hardware related. All other operations including fan and indicator lights are normal.

The screen was replaced two years ago so I'm surprised. I just hope it is something to do with the connection coming loose during transport.

Yes, and I have contacted the repairer and they told me to send it back to them COD. That's what I'm doing now because unfortunately I do not have access to an external monitor. I do know that from previous experience moving house somewhere on another computer the screen backlight popped. I'd really like to look at it but do not have the skills set. No repair warranty statement was given so I'll ask about that. They may have to go through delivery insurance. They asked me for a photo of the problem.

We can only wait and see what they say.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Saruman

Saruman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:38 AM

Thanks,

As I said. The tech company said that the inverter was probably knocked out in transport. They've repaired it again by taking a component from another computer. There's no charge and they'll send it again but in a very safe package.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users