Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Build for programing advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave211

Dave211

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

I am building a PC for the first time and it has been a little overwhelming.  A friend suggested that I post my parts choices on a forum to get some thoughts.  I want to us this PC to hone programing skills, process large amounts of data and be capable of multiprocessing. 

So here's the parts:

I already have a video card and monitor.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

In case of motherboard Go with Asus x99-A because it is cheap and good quality. HDD is very slow better to get 7200RPM speed HDD. 550Watts PSU will be enough. If you post about your graphic card it will be better to get advice on it.

Edited by LiamP5, 16 July 2016 - 10:03 AM.

To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

Add to your purchase backup/restore that: you are comfortable using, you are assured such is reliable, and so on.  You definitely want to backup your programming work weekly, bi-monthly, and, especially after any major breakthrough on your part!

Edited by RolandJS, 16 July 2016 - 10:03 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

Plan to overclock? If not, then drop out liquid cooler and go with air cooling.

SSD is TLC so not recommended. Crucial BX100/MX200 good alternative.

HDD should be 7200 RPM. Seagate or WD Blue good alternatives.

650W PSU is more than enough, no matter what video card. EVGA G2 or GS are both good. What video card btw?

Edited by Drillingmachine, 16 July 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#5 Dave211

Dave211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

The video card is a Zotac GTX780Ti.  A friend gave it to me.  He said it was a good card, but I didn't realize how good until I got home and looked it up.  It's way more than I need.  I thought that was maybe to much on PSU.  This one,

is cheaper by less than $10. 

I didn't know about cell levels on SSDs.  I've looked it up and I seems that itreally starts to drive the price up for non TLC.  Are there any good 256GB non TLC SSDs for under $100?  I could go with a smaller SSD, but I envisioned having my OS and working data on the SSD (why I didn't think I needed a better HDD) and Windows 10 alone needs 20 GB.  How much difference does a better SSD make? 

Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by Dave211, 16 July 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:56 AM

The video card is a Zotac GTX780Ti.  A friend gave it to me.  He said it was a good card, but I didn't realize how good until I got home and looked it up.  It's way more than I need.  I thought that was maybe to much on PSU.  This one,

is cheaper by less than $10. 

I didn't know about cell levels on SSDs.  I've looked it up and I seems that itreally starts to drive the price up for non TLC.  Are there any good 256GB non TLC SSDs for under $100?  I could go with a smaller SSD, but I envisioned having my OS and working data on the SSD (why I didn't think I needed a better HDD) and Windows 10 alone needs 20 GB.  How much difference does a better SSD make? 

Thanks for all the advice.

VGA card is OK.

That is much cheaper https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h3FXsY/evga-power-supply-220gs0650v1

(made by Seasonic and essentially same as Seasonic you linked but just with different case).

MLC seems to be cheaper actually https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KzyxFT/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct250mx200ssd1

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

Why use a "gaming motherboard" if you don't game?  You didn't state that you don't...but you didn't say that you do :).  I hate having features which I don't use or need on a motherboard.  Many of those features are for enthusiasts and gamers...ordinary users like me don't need them, IMO :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users