Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An android script.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

I was wondering if there is a way to write a script for android phone which would enable for me to hear a noise of some sort when i receive a new voice mail? If yes, can someone give me an idea on how to do it coz my phone does not have the ability to do it on its own? Plz let me know.

thx

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 July 2016 - 10:51 AM.
moved from Programming to Android OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

your phone doesn't have ringtones? so long as ringtone is turned up you should get a sound when you receive a phone call or a text message or a voicemail by default

credit to Queen-Evie

You can try this, which is how I've done it on every Android device I've had.

NOTE: this may the same/similar OR not be there for you.

Go to Settings.
Sound and Notification.
Application notifications.

Scroll through the list, find Voice Mail and open it.

Open More Settings.

If you see Sound-Set Ringtone, open it.

Open Select Ringtone. Make your selection, then touch OK.

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 15 July 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#3 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

How does your phone notify you of voicemails currently?  Do you receive a message or a notification?

#4 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

your phone doesn't have ringtones? so long as ringtone is turned up you should get a sound when you receive a phone call or a text message or a voicemail by default

credit to Queen-Evie

You can try this, which is how I've done it on every Android device I've had.

NOTE: this may the same/similar OR not be there for you.

Go to Settings.
Sound and Notification.
Application notifications.

Scroll through the list, find Voice Mail and open it.

Open More Settings.

If you see Sound-Set Ringtone, open it.

Open Select Ringtone. Make your selection, then touch OK.

not an option.

How does your phone notify you of voicemails currently?  Do you receive a message or a notification?

Status bar only.

#5 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Can you try go to the phone icon, at the top left you should see the 3 dots to open the menu, open settings.  Click calls.  Click voicemail, and try change the settings there.  I don't think creating a script will be recommended for this, as you'd have to create an app to try and catch that notification and then do extra stuff.  Might get more help within the Android OS forum if that doesn't work!

#6 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Can you try go to the phone icon, at the top left you should see the 3 dots to open the menu, open settings.  Click calls.  Click voicemail, and try change the settings there.  I don't think creating a script will be recommended for this, as you'd have to create an app to try and catch that notification and then do extra stuff.  Might get more help within the Android OS forum if that doesn't work!

Didnt work. Any other ideas guys?

#7 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:33 PM

get a better phone or update the one you have haha

#8 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

get a better phone or update the one you have haha

You ought to be in Vegas with that act.

#9 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

Writing a script would not be feasible for this, unless you really want to get to know how to write Android apps.  I'd recommend asking the people within the Android OS forums.

It should be possible playing around with the phone you have to be honest, but I don't have an android emulator to help you even if you told me which version/phone you have.  

#10 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

Writing a script would not be feasible for this, unless you really want to get to know how to write Android apps.  I'd recommend asking the people within the Android OS forums.

It should be possible playing around with the phone you have to be honest, but I don't have an android emulator to help you even if you told me which version/phone you have.  

have one in android forums to no avail and no, the phone does not.

#11 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:05 AM

Well to be honest I think that writing a script is a complete waste of time due to the fact it would take over 2-3 hours for an experienced programmer in Android to do it (I'd say over 12 hours for someone experienced in coding but not Android, over 30-50 if you have never coded before but are talented) but I'm quite sure it can be done (provided you have over API 18 which is I believe Android 4.3 phone).  As you can see it would be much cheaper to buy a new phone which would do it, but I wish you luck if you wish to try and feel free to ask for help on specifics but I can't help you to build it completely as it's way too much work.

To do it I believe the overall steps would be:

1. Download and install the android SDK
  2. Create an App which runs as a background service
  3. Create a notification listener
  4. Listen for the voicemail notification (will probably have to find the ID of the application which sends it)
  5. Create another notification which makes a noise -> Can duplicate this to make it run more than once if it still exists after a period of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users