Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:12 AM

I am here to ask about overclocking. I have AMD athlon™ 64 processor 3000+ 2.0GHZ, 2.5GB of Ram.

What would be the ideal limit for my computer of overclocking?
and I could not find how to overclock ram? does anyone know how to?

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 13 August 2006 - 02:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:06 AM

I hate when this happens. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 13 August 2006 - 04:08 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:07 AM

Read this, and at the bottom of the page there is a link which will take you to instructions for over clocking.

This article doesn't cover the dangers of overclocking as thoroughly as I would like to see, so please also read about the disadvantages of overclocking by novices here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:24 AM

:thumbsup: Veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy RISKY... :flowers:

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

Well I don't really suggest overclocking. It can be dangerous.

Some people do it for fun, other's to save money. The Athlon 64 +3000 has it's multipliers locked ( If they weren't, overclocking would be so damn easy and fun ) Only he Intel Extreme edition and AMD's FX line have the multipliers un locked. Doesn't mean you can't overclock it though. Just means instead of overclocking the core, you need to overclock the FSB ( front side bus ) the FSB is the bus which your CPU communicates with everythign else, sound card, RAM, ect.

When you overclock, you basicly increase the voltage in the core making it work faster and harder. It'll be more unstable and create more heat. So if you're actually going to do it, make sure you have good cooling.

The ideal limit is hard to tell, you'd have to overclock your FSB, so it really depends on how well everything can adjust to the high frequency.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

Overclocking? Hmmm, been there, done that, even got a TShirt for it!

BUT......it costs a lot if you're not careful. You can fry your components with just one simple mistake. I gave up on overclocking because I was sick and tired of ruining perfectly good hardware because of my pursuit of clock speed. Oh, and don't forget that overclocking generates more heat - so you'll need to improve your cooling solution before starting to mess with the settings!

That being said, if you still want to overclock the first thing to do is to read, and read a lot. It's not as simple as just bumping up your RAM a notch or two. On my system there's at least 7 separate settings that affect the RAM speed and they all affect each other - so it takes a lot of experimenting to find the right mix of settings. And, it also relates somewhat to any CPU overclocking that you may do. And that overclocking may affect your other components (like your video card, sound card, LAN card, etc).

So, start reading up on what the BIOS settings do on your system. And then start reading up on overclocking techniques. Here's my favorite links for each (but a google search will give you much more):
http://www.rojakpot.com/show.aspx?fileID=18
http://www.overclockers.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:49 AM

Well I don't really suggest overclocking. It can be dangerous.

Some people do it for fun, other's to save money. The Athlon 64 +3000 has it's multipliers locked ( If they weren't, overclocking would be so damn easy and fun ) Only he Intel Extreme edition and AMD's FX line have the multipliers un locked. Doesn't mean you can't overclock it though. Just means instead of overclocking the core, you need to overclock the FSB ( front side bus ) the FSB is the bus which your CPU communicates with everythign else, sound card, RAM, ect.

When you overclock, you basicly increase the voltage in the core making it work faster and harder. It'll be more unstable and create more heat. So if you're actually going to do it, make sure you have good cooling.

The ideal limit is hard to tell, you'd have to overclock your FSB, so it really depends on how well everything can adjust to the high frequency.

I have overclocked my FSB, but you said that The Athlon 64 +3000 has it's multipliers locked, what is the difference between overclocking the FSB and the multipliers.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:10 AM

The speed of the processor is determined by two things: the FSB and the multiplier. So you get the processor speed by multiplying the multiplier with the FSB, so with the 3000+ it goes like this: 200FSB * 9 = 1800MHz. Overclocking the FSB to say 220 changes the equation to 220 *9 = 1980MHz. But when you overclock the FSB you overclock every part of the computer, which isn't a very good idea, since some parts of the computer won't overclock properly. Athlon FX and Core 2 Extreme processors have their multiplier unlocked. The Athlon FX-53 has 200FSB * 12 = 2400MHz. And since it is multiplier unlocked you can raise the multiplier instead of the FSB, like this 200 * 14 = 2800MHz. Now you can overclock only the processors and not risk damaging other parts of the computer which are sensitive the overclocking.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:59 AM

ok, but would it make a difference if I only overclock the FSB(since the mutiplier is locked) from 200MHz to 205MHz? And if it does, are there any free benchmarkers that I can use them to test?

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

Yes, it will make your system faster and probably score a bit higher in something like 3Dmark2006. But It's not really recomended unless you know what you're doing and are prepared for the conciquences.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#11 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:46 AM

has anyone heard about proctune? is it really that effective?

#12 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:15 PM

hello, anyone?

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:05 AM

I cannot find a single instance of anybody being satisfied with ProcTune. I wouldn't trust it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

From a quick read, it doesn't do anything that other freeware tools won't do. Try http://www.overclockers.com/ for more info on overclocking.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:27 AM

you said no one was satisfied with ProcTune, but what does it actually do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users