Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid Thru Molex adapter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cell0042

cell0042

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

I haven't used this type of connection before. 

I have a couple of systems that I have to build that needs to be added to expand our storage.  The setup goes like this:

One system with 2 ssd's (which I will load the os on) connected to another system (via molex) with 12, 3.8 TB drives.

I want to raid the 12 drives (raid 5) and create one virtual disk.  

I can't see the drives at all prior to loading the OS on it.  I decided to load the OS and I can see the 12 drives (sde, sdf, sdg. etc....)

The system with the OS does have an LSI raid adapter but when I launch that utility I don't see the other drives on the other system.  

Could someone please help me out.   I have feeling there is another piece of hardware missing.  I'm just too familiar with this setup.

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2016 - 10:48 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:50 AM

You're being kind of vague, and I think you're confused on what's being used. 

1st: Molex connectors are power connectors. Not a kinda of data transfer system/cable. Unless you're referring to some kind of Molex branded device that I'm unaware of? Probably just getting terminology confused, it happens.  If you could clear this up that'd be appreciated. 

2nd: The way you phrase it makes it sound like the twelve 4TB (3.8TB) drives are in a entirely separate computer. However other things you say make it seem like they're in the same computer. Very confusing.

Would need to know which you are trying to do since setting up a networked raid, a NAS raid, or local machine RAID are all different processes.

If you can answer the 2nd question then we can move on to what would need to be done, and potentially have the thread moved to a more appropriate section if it's networked based. 

EDIT: Sure you aren't using a SAS, mini SAS, or SATA connectors? 

Edited by SEANIA, 17 July 2016 - 02:57 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users