Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headset keeps messing with my USB ports

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Texasisntreal

Texasisntreal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

I've had a Razer Tiamat 7.1 for about 1.5 years now and I've never had a problem with it. But the other day, none my USBs were responding. Mouse, keyboard, flashdrive, wired controller, none of it. But when I completely unplugged my headset, everything works fine. I plug it back in, and rather than the sound of the computer accepting something inside the USBV, you can hear disconnect sound after disconnect sound. Problem is, this is my main way of listening to anything on my computer. I've been using my monitor's internal speaker, but the audio peaks so easily, you can't hear someone pronounce a "th" sound without wincing from audio alone. And (as much as I'd hate to say it), I'm a little low on funds, so i can't go out and replace my headset.
Why is my headset doing this? Is there something i can do inside the computer to fix this? Or is my motherboard acting up? 

Edit: My OS is Windows 8.1
The only error message I've ever received (if you can call it that), was on start-up, an American Megatrends screen saying I had 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse, and 2 Hubs plugged in, followed by "USB Devices Over Current Status Detected", then shut-down in 15 seconds. I resolved that by unplugging everything and plugging it back in once my computer was started up,
I have already tried updating my USB drives through Device manager, unplugging and re-plugging all my external hardware, and restarting my computer.

Edited by Texasisntreal, 15 July 2016 - 05:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZeroForge

ZeroForge

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:48 PM

Texasisntreal:

What occurs when you move devices around to different USB ports?  1st without the headset and again with the headset (different port)?  If problems persist, only when the headset is plugged in, my first thought would be the headset is a defective USB device.  As the other items still work, the motherboard can probably be ruled out.

Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?  If desktop, are the USB ports you are using on the rear of the motherboard or part of the case?

-ZeroForge

#3 Texasisntreal

Texasisntreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:26 AM

Its a tower. The ones I'm having a problem with are on the rear of the motherboard, although now one of my ports in the front, part of the casing, won't recognize anything.
My controller won't get recognized by any USB now, but my keyboard and mouse will get connected fine (minus the one that's part of the casing).
If it is a defective USB device, would I have to get the headset repaired by the manufacturer? I'm not sure if Razer will repair anything past its warranty (never sent anything back to them before).

#4 ZeroForge

ZeroForge

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

Texasisntreal:

So the front doesn't recognize anything but the rear ports work fine.  Do you have any hubs in use?  If it is a defective USB device, you will want to purchase a new one.  According to Razer Tiamat 7.1 Support (n.d.)  "If you have narrowed the issue to the headset itself there is not really a cost effective repair center that would be able to assist you" (para. 2).  Have you tried plugging using the headset into another computer to confirm the failure?

Reference

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Support. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.razersupport.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users