Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows keeps asking for "paging file" at startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Syntherios

Syntherios

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

Every time I boot up my laptop, a window pops up titled "Performance Options" and asks for "Processor Scheduling" and "Virtual Memory". I've tried setting my paging file to "system managed" but it apparently doesn't save and asks for it again when I do another startup. What's odd is that it never popped up until my laptop's AC adapter started acting funny (only charging when the cord is twisted a certain way). I've also noticed my laptop started to run slower and slower after the first time it popped up so, logically, I'm thinking it's all linked. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

...my laptop's AC adapter started acting funny (only charging when the cord is twisted a certain way..

Please purchase another AC adapter power cord [cord between wall and brick] or replace the entire ac adapter before it possibly ruins the laptop battery and other related circuitry.  And, which cord has to be twisted just right?  The cord from wall to brick or the cord from brick to laptop?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

Before you go out and purchase a new power adapter you should use a voltmeter to determine if the output of the adapter is correct.  The output DC voltage is fond on the adapter.  If the voltage is correct then you will not need a new adapter.  But if you have replaced the adapter you need to make sure that the voltage is correct for this computer, the amperage has to be what the computer requires, it can be greater, but not lower.

Which part of the power cord is causing this problem, the section plugged into the wall, or the section going from the adapter to the laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Syntherios

Syntherios
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

[snip]

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CcHZhGqV63qWPnRNT7wvyNr

Spoiler

...my laptop's AC adapter started acting funny (only charging when the cord is twisted a certain way..

Please purchase another AC adapter power cord [cord between wall and brick] or replace the entire ac adapter before it possibly ruins the laptop battery and other related circuitry.  And, which cord has to be twisted just right?  The cord from wall to brick or the cord from brick to laptop?

Before you go out and purchase a new power adapter you should use a voltmeter to determine if the output of the adapter is correct.  The output DC voltage is fond on the adapter.  If the voltage is correct then you will not need a new adapter.  But if you have replaced the adapter you need to make sure that the voltage is correct for this computer, the amperage has to be what the computer requires, it can be greater, but not lower.

Which part of the power cord is causing this problem, the section plugged into the wall, or the section going from the adapter to the laptop?

The cord that runs from the brick into the laptop. Specifically, the part that actually plugs into the laptop itself. Unfortunately I don't own a voltmeter so I can't check the voltage at this time.

Edited by Syntherios, 16 July 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

If you have decent soldering skills and want to try to repair the output plug you can make a repair yourself.  Coax cable has two conductors inside.  The middle is the positive potential (+), the outer portion is the ground (-).  Both of these are stranded wire.  You strip these and twist them (separately).  To make this repair you will need to purchase a plug that matches yours.  You will need to do the same with the plug your purchase.  Once you have done this twist the inner conductors together, and the outer conductors together, then solder these.  You will wan to cut off the excess wire.  point the two wires in opposite directions, either shrink tube or tape over the splice.

plug_zpstxqf0sx4.png

If you don't want to do this you will have to purchase a new power adapter.  You can replace the AC (input voltage) cord, but not the output voltage cord.

#7 Syntherios

Syntherios
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:13 PM

If you have decent soldering skills and want to try to repair the output plug you can make a repair yourself.  Coax cable has two conductors inside.  The middle is the positive potential (+), the outer portion is the ground (-).  Both of these are stranded wire.  You strip these and twist them (separately).  To make this repair you will need to purchase a plug that matches yours.  You will need to do the same with the plug your purchase.  Once you have done this twist the inner conductors together, and the outer conductors together, then solder these.  You will wan to cut off the excess wire.  point the two wires in opposite directions, either shrink tube or tape over the splice.

plug_zpstxqf0sx4.png

If you don't want to do this you will have to purchase a new power adapter.  You can replace the AC (input voltage) cord, but not the output voltage cord.

I'll just save myself the trouble and buy a new adapter. Anyway, do you have any ideas what's causing that popup every time I boot up?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

"...What's odd is that it never popped up until my laptop's AC adapter started acting funny (only charging when the cord is twisted a certain way)..."  Ahhh, I'm seeing this sentence in another way now.  I'm suspecting once a brand new ac adapter is engaged, is properly charging the laptop's battery, a properly charged battery is doing its job of properly powering the laptop, after setting the Windows' Performance Option/page file one more time, restarting a couple of times, that part of the problem should work ok now.  After you tell us paging file is performing without disappearing between boot/startups, we can tackle the overall computer slowness.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 July 2016 - 09:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 Syntherios

Syntherios
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

"...What's odd is that it never popped up until my laptop's AC adapter started acting funny (only charging when the cord is twisted a certain way)..."  Ahhh, I'm seeing this sentence in another way now.  I'm suspecting once a brand new ac adapter is engaged, is properly charging the laptop's battery, a properly charged battery is doing its job of properly powering the laptop, after setting the Windows' Performance Option/page file one more time, restarting a couple of times, that part of the problem should work ok now.  After you tell us paging file is performing without disappearing between boot/startups, we can tackle the overall computer slowness.

So you're saying a new AC adapter will fix the problem?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

"...   I'm suspecting once a brand new ac adapter is engaged...that part of the problem should work ok now...After you tell us paging file is performing without disappearing between boot/startups, we can tackle the overall computer slowness.

I see I should have phrased it a little differently:

If after doing the settings [called for earlier], if after a couple of Restarts [*], now that the laptop is being properly powered; if Windows boot and startup works, if Windows properly restarts or shuts down, if Windows' paging file works as it should -- then we know one solution works.

After all of that, if Windows is still slower than you believe it should be, then we can tackle that problem by starting with:  MiniToolBox and Piriform's Speccy, saving all generated logs, and posting info as the BC Regular Team's boilerplate post[s] will indicate.

[*] By Restarts, I mean:  Restart.  Let Windows come to full Desktop, let Windows "heal itself."  A few minutes later, Restart.  I have found that if I patiently "leave Windows alone" between test restarts, things often go much better.  When testing is over, make your OS and data partition backups onto your chosen reliable external media, then make Windows work smart & hard for you, do what you want to do.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 July 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

Replacing the power adapter will resolve the problem it is exhibiting.  But whether this is going to have any bearing on the other problem, you will have to wait and see.  It's not uncommon to have multiple problems occur at the same time, for this reason the proper approach is to address each issue separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users