Please try below troubleshooting steps.
1. Boot your computer into Safe Mode
if the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot
to find out which startup program causing the issue.
2. Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Sfc /Scannow
command and press Enter key to repair any damage Windows system files.
In case you are unable to start the System File Checker and you instead get the Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start the Repair Service
error, you may want to check up if Windows Modules Installer
service has been Disabled. To do so, type services.msc
in Start Menu search box and hit Enter. The startup type of this service should be set to Manual. Double click the Windows Modules Installer
service name to set its startup type to Manual.
3. Type Chkdsk C: /r
command to repair C: partition NTFS file system errors and mark bad sectors.
4. Check the Event Viewer for any error or warning logs that may give you clue what is causing the issue.
5. Within normal booted Windows execute my batch script as a administrator download link is below. Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder
6. Uninstall third party codec packs.
7. A media file that is corrupted could cause windows Explorer not to respond disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10
After disabling the thumbnail preview the issue resolves i will guide you to find out which media file causing the Windows Explorer not respond.
8. Buggy Windows Explorer extensions that is install by third party program can cause icons disappear and make Windows Explorer not respond. Follow the instructions at below website link. Troubleshooting Right Click Issues Caused by Shell Extensions
Edited by FreeBooter, 17 July 2016 - 01:19 PM.