Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everyone's headache. Slow computer since Day 1. My first step?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin63

Ronin63

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hello and good day everyone! This is my first post. Everyone has this problem, and it's usually a headache to solve, unless you are a techie.

I own a Dell Laptop 17 inch. Model 7737. The specs are included as an attachment, as well as the report created by the Windows Report: Resource and Performance Monitor..

I've been frustrated with it since day 1. But when i run Windows diagnostics, it tells me everything is fine.

Just recently, i ran a software, that gave start up times, and even it said, after start up " very slow "

Firstly, i am a maniac about utilities. I like no junk, no games, i don't click on banners. My startup programs are almost nothing. I run utility software on my laptop:

Kaspersky Internet Security. Updated daily.

CCenhancer

CCleaner

Malwarebytes

Norton Utilities

Speccy

Defraggler

I took it this week, to a computer fix it company,,and all they did was reformat it, so it's running a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home, But its still a slow dog. 

Now, this is the first time i've run the windows program " Resource and Performance Montor", and it mentions graphics card, and cpu and memory issues. So even if i took it back to the shop,,what would i tell them to do? I'd rather fix it myself, so i'd know it was done right.

This has frustrated me for so long! Sometimes i think that god is punishing me for buying things I want, but don't need. But i guess that's in my head. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

I would post this over in the windows 10 support section, would get more help. I doubt you need Norton Utilities and CCenhancer though. What program did you run that told you it was very slow?

#3 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

I feel Mr Ronin pain, when i brought my girlfriends toshiba with win 8.1 it was so slow she almost threw it at me calling me a "a" hole for bring her that crap.  but it settled down, and believe it or not its the only machine we let up grade to 10 which she liked better than 8.1, less messy she said...lol

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 July 2016 - 06:08 PM.
Moved from 'Internal hardware' to Win 10 support'

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

Could you please post the report URL from Speccy rather than the image of the abbreviated summary screen ?  These two images show how. There is no personally identifiable information included in the full report.

speccy-log-image-1.jpg

speccy-log-image-2.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Ronin63

Ronin63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:12 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sFQ5bHAIJTVeAxwEovF6ggS

I have no idea what that is,,but it sure is a bleepload of information. The report from the Resource and Performance Monitor seemed to tell me it might be a graphics card issue?? I have no idea. 

#6 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

@Ronin63:  Not only are you running Kaspersky, but Norton Utilities.  No wonder your computer is slow.  If you want to use an antivirus program then just go with Defender.  Personally, I keep it turned off.  I am knowledgeable about what to click, and what not to click, so I don't get infected. 

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

I agree on Norton Utilities, it is just not worth it, snake oil if you ask me. And why would Dell install a 5400 RPM hard drive? A 7200 RPM would be minimum for me and an SSD would definitely be an option. I am betting that an SSD drive would make that laptop scream like it should.

#8 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

I am betting that an SSD drive would make that laptop scream like it should.

Yes it would, and they are very inexpensive, too.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

I noticed you posted that your Startup is almost nothing.  Check with other powerhouses here, however, I'm wondering if part of the problem might be that Windows Prime is denied services which are listed in msconfig's Boot and Startup, listed in Services [services.msc] [that have been disabled or set to manual] that it needs to function as best as the Microsoft Windows programmers have designed it to function.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 July 2016 - 09:21 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

Well the first thing I would do is blame Dell.  Download a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home.  Burn it to USB, or DVD.  Boot from your install media, and go to custom install.  Delete ALL partitions, even the Dell recovery.  Install a fresh copy.  Go to updates, and make sure you check to let MS install updates for other MS products.  Reboot.  Before you start installing other stuff check to see how fast it is or isn't.  Also go to device manager, double click on your hard drives, go to policies, and check all boxes.  I would advise to NOT install other antivirus programs except for Malwarebytes.  Defender, and Malwarebytes are all you need.  

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

I would advise to NOT install other antivirus programs except for Malwarebytes.  Defender, and Malwarebytes are all you need.  

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus, it is an antimalware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

I would advise to NOT install other antivirus programs except for Malwarebytes.  Defender, and Malwarebytes are all you need.  

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus, it is an antimalware.

Exactly.  I have been using it for years.  All you need is Defender, and Malwarebytes.  Don't bother with any other POS antivirus programs.  If you are like me you can get away with absolutely no protection.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Getting beyond what everyone thinks Ronin63, let just get to the simple facts.  They need to have only one anitvirus installed.  

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

What they decide to use is their choice.  For several years Norton had fallen out of favor, but they now have a respectable antivirus once again.  The only undesirable aspects of this antivirus is the fact that it still has a very large foot print and wants to control your computer.  One of the better paid antivirus currently is Eset NOD32.

As cited above, there are problems created when you have more than one antivirus installed, whether both are running or not.  But I would be surprised if this is the cause of the computer running slow.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

@ dhjohns “Download a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home.  Burn it to USB, or DVD.  Boot from your install media, and go to custom install.  Delete ALL partitions, even the Dell recovery.  Install a fresh copy.  Go to updates, and make sure you check to let MS install updates for other MS products.  Reboot.  Before you start installing other stuff check to see how fast it is or isn't.  Also go to device manager, double click on your hard drives, go to policies, and check all boxes.” To me that is excellent advice: 

Recently I did this on a computer I serviced using the Microsoft Tech Bench in Option 1

How to Download a Windows 10 ISO File

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

The computer runs fine but I don’t like the way the hard drive is partitioned especially since there is an unallocated partition. My friend doesn’t mind but I know he’ll let me improve the install if I can. When I did that process I didn’t see a custom install option. Maybe I missed it: should I go back to that process or is there another site you can lead me to so I can do that?

@Ronin63 As you mentioned you’d like to fix it yourself: excellent.

That’s how I’ve learned to keep my computers in tip-top shape over the years.

I’d like to add that conducting system image backups is a must in my world.

I’ve only had to do that once on one of my computers and it was well worth having had that plan.

For the people I help, a system image backup is a necessity when I check them out

Some follow through, some don’t: I hope you will consider following through when the time comes.

#15 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

Usually when I install an OS there is Upgrade, and Custom (I think that's what they call it.)  Anyway there is another option below Upgrade, and I choose that.  I have a 125 GB SSD, so I just delete all partitions on that drive, and let Windows do its thing there.  Whatever it wants to create, I let it.  It works, and runs great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users