Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SCSI Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phil7

phil7

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:44 PM

Hi!

I have an older computer running Windows 98 (not SE). AMD processor running at 333MH. I installed an Adaptec Scsi Card model 2906 for a SCSI Zip Drive. I have had no problems with it. I then had to install a new hard drive. I left the SCSI card installed and installed all OS and software that originally came with the computer. Windows indentified the card and I allowed it to install the driver from the pre-installed list. It seemed to work fine but then my Zip Drive started to not read my disks properly and stated freezing up the computer. I use the SCSI Zip for my Roland VS-880 which is a digital recording work station. The Zip works fine on that. I checked out the cable and even upgraded the driver. Windows recognizes the card and confirms that evrything is working properly with no IRQ conflicts. I have spent a long time on this and before I try my next idea, I want to submit it to BC.

I was thinking of removing the hardware (deleting it from the System Device Manager) and physically remove the card. Rebooting, then shutting down, reinstalling the card, then boot the computer and installing the driver from the disk which came with the card (it appears to be the same driver that came with windows). Would this work or could I just delete from the Device Manager and reboot? What does anybody think? I realize I could have done all this in the time it took to type this, but I want to do it right.

Thanks for any help,
Phil

:cool: :cool: :woot: :thumbsup: :huh: :trumpet: :inlove: :flowers:
Iíve learned two things in life: One, there is a God; Two, Iím not Him!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:12 PM

Windows indentified the card and I allowed it to install the driver from the pre-installed list

I hope that you did not use the driver that is on Windows 98. It is ok to use that initially, but as soon as the computer comes up, you should put in the installation disk that came with the device. If you do not have it, let me know, I will do a search for you.

That does seem to be the next logical step: remove driver, turn off computer, remove hardware, turn computer back on to make sure everything else reads properly, turn off computer, put hardware back in, re-install the driver, and restart it once again. I know it seems like a pain in the backside, but sometimes it has to be done.

Out of curiousity, the files on the disk, did you use a different computer to add information on? The reason I ask, is sometimes XP will try to change the file system on removeable media. This usually happens when you turn the computer on with it already inside. I know that you said that yours is 98, but if the disk had information saved from another computer that is XP, then there is a possibility (albiet very slight), that is the reason why your computer will not read it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 phil7

phil7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Jason,

Yes I have used it on XP and also on Me. Would the same thing happen again? I don't know which Zip Disks have been affected by my ignorance. I'll give it a shot and worry about that bridge when I come to it.
Phil

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

This is something that should be fairly easy to fix, so it is ok. By the way, this happened to me on camera media, so I know the file that it puts on it.

Try this on the XP computer. Search on the ZIP disk for a file ending in log. Right-click this file and select open to see the contents. In the case of mine, it said this:

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.

When I turned my XP computer on with this media in, it looked at the files, and fixed them. The problem is, there was nothing wrong with them. What it fixed is an unrecognized extended attribute handle. The fix for it is not compatible with older windows versions, so when I put this media in an older computer (windows 2K or below), it does not know what to do with the files, so it ignores them. To us, it brings back an error.

The fix to this you need to take all of the files off the disk, and put them back on. What I would do is use XP to erase the contents of the disk, and put the blank disk in the older computer to assure that it is still good. When it (older computer) sees the blank disk, go ahead and put a small file on it. Put that disk in the XP computer, and transfer all of the information back on it.

Let me know if this works out for you.

#5 phil7

phil7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:56 PM

Who wooda thunk? :thumbsup:

After uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and hardware I came up with nothing, I asked myself why does it work with my Digital recording workstation but not on my PC? It turns out that I have two power transformers (both came with Zip Drives) and the one which I used for the PC evidently is going South. It powered the unit but didn't give it enough (or too much) juice to propely work the drive to read the disk!! All good things must come to an end.

I appreciate the time you took Jason. :flowers:

Phil

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:18 PM

You are welcome for the advice. I am glad that it all worked out, and the problem resolved. I also appreciate that you posted back :thumbsup: . Not many people do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users