Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to do factory reset on toshiba laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jevang

jevang

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:05 AM

i'm trying to do a factory reset because i likely have viruses that haven't been detected by my antivirus software. i read in the manual that with the older laptops you have to hold "0" and then press the power button while it's loading, but when i do that instead of giving me the long beep and warnings i'm taken to the boot manager. am i doing something wrong? laptop model number is Satellite C655-s5061

edit: i have also tried hitting f8 at startup and selecting repair computer, which eventually takes me to system recovery options, but the toshiba recovery wizard does not show up as an option. iv been looking at other forums and someone said that "It won't go to the Toshiba Recovery menu if the Toshiba Recovery partition is deleted or corrupted."  is that likely the case here?

fyi, i am able to navigate the desktop so the pc is running, alebit slowly

Edited by jevang, 15 July 2016 - 03:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

If the Partition for Recovery is missing or damaged you may have to order recovery disc`s  from Toshiba { At a Cost }.

You can see if the Recovery Partiton is actually there ?

Control Panel /   Administrative Tools / ComputerManagement  / Disc Management 

If it is , it shoud be about 10 - 20 Gig in size and named Recovery.

As you have already tried from F8 to enter recovery , you may also try from Start / Programs / Toshiba Folder / Recovery / if its listed.

If all else Fails , provided you have a valid Product Key on laptop , you coould download Operating System ISO and burn to disc and Install.

This will not have Drivers or Toshiba Apps , you will have to get them later , if you wish to have them. 

Edited by Havachat, 15 July 2016 - 04:01 AM.

#3 jevang

jevang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

i did the two things you suggested and it looks like the recovery partition isn't there. how would i download the operating system ISO? do i have to have the box that came with windows 7 dvd or is it on the laptop somewhere?

edit: i came across a site called magicaljellybean and downloaded the program, entered the key at the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 and received an error message: "The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

so it looks like i'm stuck with having to order the disc from toshiba.

re-edit: To elaborate, the reason i wanted to reset my laptop was so that i could replace windows 7 with Ubuntu without any possible glitches or crashing the system, so given everything mentioned here would there likely be any issues switching over from windows 7 to ubuntu? and is it possible that the virus might transfer over to the other OS?

Edited by jevang, 15 July 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

@jevang #3

Your second edit here changes everything !  If, as I understand, you wish to replace Win 7 with Ubuntu (or for that matter, any other flavour of Linux) then you don't need to do anything to your Win 7 OS. All you need to do is to install Ubuntu !

Download the Linux version of your choice and create either a DVD install disc or a USB one. When you run the installer you will get a choice screen, one choice will be to use the whole hard drive for Linux. That is not the exact wording but that is what the choice means. Accept this choice and the installer will re-format the drive and proceed to install Ubuntu leaving no trace of Windows.

The possibility of Windows malware surviving this experience is essentially zero, not least because malware written to run on Windows is highly unlikely to run on Linux.

One important note - before you start this process back-up ALL your data first. It won't survive the installation either !.  For any further advice I suggest you consult the Linux section of BC, or even start a topic there.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

Since you now have a topic open in the Linux section I am closing this one. The Linux topic is -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620036/would-like-to-replace-windows-7-with-linux-mint/

If at the end of the day you decide you want to dual boot or something like that and still need your Windows problem fixing, you will be welcome to come back here and start a new topic.

I always get worried when someone actually takes my advice !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 16 July 2016 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users