Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8/10 issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryancw93

ryancw93

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

Hello all, I am new to the forums. So.. I have had issues with my old ideapad constantly dropping the wifi every 20-30 minutes, giving me a default gateway cannot be found error, which would easily be fixable by running the troubleshooter. I had so many problems that I decided to buy a dell inspiron 15. Even with this newer laptop, I am still having some issues (roomates laptop works flawless with the same wireless settings, and its much older). I updated to windows 10 in hopes that it would stop giving me this error, but it seems that I have new ones. After spending 3 days trying everything under the sun, flushing dns, uninstalling drivers, reinstalling them, etc. I am almost giving up hope of ever having a working laptop. If anyone is able to help me, I would appreciate it very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

What wireless settings are you using? MAC filtering? Hiding the SSID of the WiFi network?

Which version of encryption? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

Have you tried turning off encryption temporarily to see if that helps?

How old is the router?

Older WiFi equipment might implement WiFi standards slightly differently or use different chipsets. These things seemed to cause issues in the past. I believe things are better with more recent WiFi equipment (i.e. after the formal 802.11n standard was adopted as opposed to just the draft version) as I have not had the same kind of issue with newer computers and routers. For older equipment, I would occasionally find that some computers would not work with some routers when encryption was turned on. Don't know if this kind of situation might be happening (thus the questions above).

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

The first question that comes to mind is how much wireless signal strength you get where your laptop is vs roommates laptop. It is possible your laptop is losing full connection to the network, and while it is trying to reconnect, DHCP is failing. A work around might be to set a DHCP reservation for your laptop in the router so it has a easier time reconnecting. However, if this is your problem, the better solution would be to see why the laptop is getting low signal to begin with. 

+1 everything smax013 said, specifically, what model router/gateway do you have?

#4 Davistar531

Davistar531

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

i suggest is a virus

#5 ryancw93

ryancw93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:11 PM

Well turns out my roommates computer did the same thing to me yesterday. As far as I know, I haven't changed any network settings and my roommate surely hasn't. The router is fairly new and I'm not sure what model model number is right but I'll give them both. It's either a netgear B90-755044-15 or just model 7550. My provider is frontier. I know it's not the best service provider but I can sit on my phone and play videos all day without any issues, but when it comes to the laptops, something is going wrong. Thanks for the replies

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

BTW, if you use the computers with a wired connection, do you get the same problem?  While I realize this would likely not be a long term solution if it does help, it would at least help try diagnose the problem.

FWIW, I cannot find any specs on the Netgear 7550.  The wireless setup video on this Frontier page seems to imply that it at least has 802.11n due to one of the setup pages it shows in the video:

https://frontier.com/helpcenter/categories/internet/installation-setup/configure-my-router/get-started/westell-7500-or-netgear-7550-gateway

If 802.11n is what it has, then it is possible that it is an implementation of 802.11n while the standard was still a draft.  If so, then it could very well be what I was originally thinking.  

Without you answering most of the questions that Trikein and I asked, it is tough to try to diagnose anything.  At this point, I am going to assume you did not change any of the default settings, which according to the Frontier website above seems to suggest that the setting are set to broadcast the SSID, MAC filtering is off, and they tell you to use "WPA Any" for encryption.

Without further information, the possibilities to me seem to be either:

1) The WiFI chipsets in the computers do not like the chipset in the modem/router along the lines of what I was thinking.  This is related to the questions that I asked.  If it is this, the way to solve it would be to get a third-party router that you place after/connect to the Netgear modem/router.  Then use the third-party router for your WiFi and wired connections.

2) You are getting a weak signal from the router as Trikein suggested.  If this is the case, the first thing to do is try to see if you can position the modem/router to provide a better signal (place it up higher with as few obstructions between the computers and modem/router as possible and try to locate it as close to the middle of the home as possible) and try a different WiFi channel.  The more intensive options are trying to boost the signal with a repeater or purchasing a third-party router.

3) There is a problem with the modem/router.  The fact that you seem to have no issue with your phone makes this less likely, it is still a possibility.  If this is the problem, then getting a new modem/router from Frontier would solve it.

Have you tried calling Frontier?  Presumably, you are renting the modem/router from them.  If so, then they should support it.

In general, I don't like routers that ISP provide.  Usually they are pretty crappy with weak WiFi.  For my Internet through Comcast, I don't use the WiFi built into the modem/router provided by Comcast.  I have a third-party router that has WAY better WiFi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users