Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Warning You, Don't Read this Article. It's a Federal Crime!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:35 PM

Author Swati Khandelwal

Yes, you heard it right. If I tell you not to visit my website, but you still visit it knowing you are disapproved, you are committing a federal crime, and I have the authority to sue you.

Wait! I haven't disapproved you yet. Rather I'm making you aware of a new court decision that may trouble you and could have big implications going forward.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has taken a critical decision on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA): Companies can seek civil and criminal penalties against people who access or visit their websites without their permission.

Even Sharing Password is also a Federal Crime...
Yes, a similar weird decision was taken last week when the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that sharing passwords can be a violation of the CFAA, making Millions of people who share their passwords "unwitting federal criminals."

Now, you might be wondering how visiting a publically open website could be a crime. Well, there's a legal battle behind it:

http://thehackernews.com/2016/07/oops-federal-crime.html

You red the article didn't you? Well its off to prison for you.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

I remember hearing about on the news (internet based) they were explaining how sharing passwords could get you into legal trouble, but the part about visiting a website being illegal is news to me. Epically if its a surface website that can accessed via a search engine. Sounds like big brother is over stepping his boundaries. :nono:

Edited by SuperSapien64, 14 July 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#3 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:39 PM

This is Federal Crime? Well, I already had a crime under my name for stealing candy in GTA 5. 

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

You red the article didn't you? Well its off to prison for you.

Clap me in irons, and send me off to Van Diemen's Land. (I'm getting tired of Canadian winters, anyway!)

And while you're at it . . . doe it it not follow that ANY link to a third party site, without their express permission, would also be a Federal offense?

One step further, would that then make Google an internationally known and wanted criminal?

Tuppence,

Naught.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

Well I have been a criminal for years. At the tender age of 16 I was fined 10 shillings (pre-decimal currency, equivalent to a week's pocket money) in the local Mgistrate's Court  for the offence of being cheeky to the police. That was the offence, the charge was 'Riding a bicycle during the hours of darkness without lights' !

I really fear that people are getting confused between Civil and Statute law in this case. Breach of T&Cs or EULAs is breach of contract and is a matter of civil law, ie MS or Facebook can sue me for damages or apply for an order to cease and desist but they cannot get the police knocking on my door with a warrant to arrest. Hacking your computer or incorporating it into a botnet may be a criminal matter in which case I might get the police knocking on the door but then I would be charged and be brought to criminal court.

I have the feeling that the law got well and truly stretched in this case.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

I was unable to resist... :blink:

Dang reverse psychology :ranting:

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users