Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluescreen Error When I Hook Up To The Internet (dial Up); Last Week I Had To Abort Updates Because Of The Slow Download

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lmcf

lmcf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

I have an Inspiron 2650 that has been so stable for so many years for me. I am on dial-up service because out here in the country that is all that is available; lucky to have that. Anyway, last week while I was on net my computer was downloading some updates (I have it set to do that automatically). It was taking forever, as usual. Well I had to go ahead and log off and get to bed without the downloads being completed. When I went to log off/turn off, as usual there was a little box that stated the downloads would be installed and then the laptop would be turned off (as I have always done in the past). A couple days later when I went to use the laptop, it came on fine with the Dell welcome screen, then the next screen was only a blinking cursor.

I let it do this for a few minutes, then finally rebooted. Same again; I then rebooted and pushed F2 but did not change anything and exited. It finally loaded Windows and everything looked fine. When I started to hook up to my internet connection (bellsouth),after dialing it then went to a "bluescreen" with a message driver irql not less or equal and then rebooted. It did this several times and I was never able to get to the connection. It would reboot fine and load windows.

Evidently these Window updates that did not complete has something to do with this. My virus scan (Norton) is up to date and I ran a scan and all is fine. I ran Norton Systemworks and everything is fine.

This has been such an excellent computer that I am so concerned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:28 PM

Found on the Web:

"This is usually a driver failure. Go to your event viewer(find it under the control panel, administrative tools, event viewer) and check under "system". You should see the error from your bluescreen there. Opent hat event, and look for the ofending driver, it should say what caused the problem. Try updating the device driver for that item. "

Hope this helps!!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lmcf

lmcf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

Thanks, I will try that. Maybe the aborted dowload affected the drivers? I have not installed any new hardware or software. I am running XP Pro. How do I update the drivers? Thank you.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

Windows 95/98*Grinler as well as Windows NT/2000 come with built-in drivers and often will automatically install a driver when a new device is added if the driver is already in the Windows driver library on the machine.

Occasionally the system won't recognize a new device and so you need to install a driver manually from a floppy disk or Compact Disc or from the Internet.
Sometimes it's better to use a driver provided by the maker of the device than to use the built-in Windows driver. It is usually more up to date and better written.

It is also necessary to update a driver if a device is working strangely. The odd behaviour can be attributed to a bug in the existing driver.

To update a driver, you'll need to retrieve it from the device maker's Web site. Most peripheral makers have a support or customer care area on their Web site that contains driver files. Drivers also come on floppy disk or CDs what come with the device, though it is advisable to get the latest driver from the device manufacturer's Web site. If you need help in finding a driver look at these sites: http://www.driverguide.com/ or http://www.windrivers.com or http://www.driverzone.com/ or http://www.drivershq.com/ or perhaps http://www.mrdriver.com/.

Before you find the right driver you'll need to figure out what the make and model is of the device you are updating. This usually isn't hard. The information is typically contained in the manual of the device or could be actually on the device itself (in the case of a printer or scanner).

If the device is attached inside the computer, like an internal modem or video card, you can usually find out what it is using the Windows "System Information" program found in the Accessories/System Tools area of your Start menu. Click the Start button then Programs then Accessories and then System Tools.

A list of devices and their various names will appear under headings on the left-hand side. For example, click the plus sign (+) next to "Components" and then "Display" to see which video card is installed or click CD-ROM under "Multimedia" to see which CD-ROM drive is installed.

Once you have the device name, you'll be able to find the correct driver on the manufacturer's Web site. When you click on the file containing the driver package your Web browser will prompt you to Run or Download the file. Select "Download" and then specify a folder on your computer to save it to.
Your best bet is to click the desktop symbol on the top right of the download box, which looks like a tiny blotter and pencil in Windows 95/98.

The driver will then download. When it finishes close your Web browser and create a folder on your desktop. To do this right click with your mouse on the desktop and choose "New" and then "Folder". Enter a name for the folder -- something like "driver files". Now right click on the downloaded file and hold you mouse button down and drag it to the folder. Release the mouse button and select "Move". The file will be moved to the "driver files" folder.

Now open the "driver files" folder by double clicking on it and then double-click the file you downloaded. The file will expand and uncompress all the items inside it and list them in the "driver files" folder. Sometimes it won't uncompress because it is in ZIP format. You can tell this by its .zip extension. You can use an unzip utility such as Winzip found at http://www.winzip.com. Windows Me automatically accesses ZIP files without the need for further software.

Now comes the part where you update the actual driver. Open your Control Panel (click Start, then pick Settings then Control Panel). Double click the System icon and choose the Device Manager tab. Find the device for which you want to update the driver. Click the plus sign (+) next to the various categories click on the device you want to update, and then click on "Properties" and the "Driver" tab.

Then click the "Update Driver" button. A dialog box will walk you through the process. Choose "Display a list of drivers..." then choose the "Have Disk" button and use the dialog box to find the "driver files" folder you created on your desktop. Choose the ".INF" file in that folder and click OK. The system will update the appropriate driver. If there is more than one .INF file then try each one until you get a successful install. Finally, reboot your machine so that the new driver can take effect.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:54 AM

Just a thought:

Can you use system restore and go back to a point before you started the update downloads? Another question: was the computer still actually downloading when you quit, or was it installing, or does auto update method not give you that information? When I've had download failures in the past, it simply said failed download or something. Now if it were in the middle of installing then I could see how the problems you have could have been caused.

Umm - Is there a reason you couldn't have stayed logged on and let it do its downloading and installing while you were in bed?

I'm on dial-up also. Because of the incredible amount of time it takes to download a bunch of stuff and because I was for 2 years+ on a server that automatically cuts internet connection at 2 hours, I figured out a way to download stuff without quite as many headaches.

Instead of using Automatic updates and the so-called express choice on manual updates, I choose custom on manual updates. Updates will still be categorized by critical etc. Look at the download times and select only one or two single updates at a time: that way you'll get a complete download of those specific files and be able to install them. Downside is that you have to go through that process several times if there are a lot of updates.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 August 2006 - 12:56 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 lmcf

lmcf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Just a thought:

Can you use system restore and go back to a point before you started the update downloads? Another question: was the computer still actually downloading when you quit, or was it installing, or does auto update method not give you that information? When I've had download failures in the past, it simply said failed download or something. Now if it were in the middle of installing then I could see how the problems you have could have been caused.

Umm - Is there a reason you couldn't have stayed logged on and let it do its downloading and installing while you were in bed?

I'm on dial-up also. Because of the incredible amount of time it takes to download a bunch of stuff and because I was for 2 years+ on a server that automatically cuts internet connection at 2 hours, I figured out a way to download stuff without quite as many headaches.

Instead of using Automatic updates and the so-called express choice on manual updates, I choose custom on manual updates. Updates will still be categorized by critical etc. Look at the download times and select only one or two single updates at a time: that way you'll get a complete download of those specific files and be able to install them. Downside is that you have to go through that process several times if there are a lot of updates.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

It was downloading (only at about 4% after quite some time. I have left it downloading and gone on to bed and then failed to turn the laptop off when I got up and thus the phone line was tied up all day.

A previous response quizzed about drivers and devices; I did not install any new devices, so I do not really need to find the correct driver for new device unless the aborted update/download, which I had set up for automatic, corrupted some of my flies or drivers.

I cannot even get connected to the internet, so I cannot do a scan of the computer to check for corruption.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

I think your best bet at this point is to use system restore and choose a date and time just before the downloading began. If that is what is causing the problem, that should take care of it. Click on Start, thenControl Panel. Then Click on "Performance and Maintenance" which will change the window. On the far left near the top, you will see "system restore." Click on it. This will bring up a new window. Make sure there is a little green dot by "Restore my computer to an earlier tim"near the top in the right panel, then click on next near the bottom right. The window will change to one with a calendar on the left side. Dates in bold have restore points. First try the date the downloads began and see if there is a time to choose from, in the times and names that appear on the right, that precedes the commencement of the downloads. Click on the time you want. If there isn't one that precedes the downloads, click on the back arrow above the name and time selection. This will take you to the previous day's restore points. Choose the latest time on that date and click next on the bottom. This will roll your computer back to the way it was before the downloads started. If this doesn't solve the problem, then something else is the culprit.
-----------------

then failed to turn the laptop off when I got up and thus the phone line was tied up all day.

Ah, I see. You can set the dial-up connection to disconnect after a given period of time of idleness. That would prevent the scenario you just described. Click on Start then Control Panel then NetWork Connections. Right click on the dial-up connection icon, then click on properties on the menu that comes up. Click on the Options tab near the left, then under the Redial properties part of the menu, you will see "idle time before hanging up" and to the right of it a little white box with a drop down menu arrow to the right of it. Click on the little arrow and select the amount of time. I have mine set to 20 minutes. This will cause the connection to disconnect if there hasn't been any internet traffic for 20 minutes or whatever time you have it set to.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 August 2006 - 01:25 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 lmcf

lmcf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:08 AM

I think your best bet at this point is to use system restore and choose a date and time just before the downloading began. If that is what is causing the problem, that should take care of it. Click on Start, thenControl Panel. Then Click on "Performance and Maintenance" which will change the window. On the far left near the top, you will see "system restore." Click on it. This will bring up a new window. Make sure there is a little green dot by "Restore my computer to an earlier tim"near the top in the right panel, then click on next near the bottom right. The window will change to one with a calendar on the left side. Dates in bold have restore points. First try the date the downloads began and see if there is a time to choose from, in the times and names that appear on the right, that precedes the commencement of the downloads. Click on the time you want. If there isn't one that precedes the downloads, click on the back arrow above the name and time selection. This will take you to the previous day's restore points. Choose the latest time on that date and click next on the bottom. This will roll your computer back to the way it was before the downloads started. If this doesn't solve the problem, then something else is the culprit.
-----------------

then failed to turn the laptop off when I got up and thus the phone line was tied up all day.

Ah, I see. You can set the dial-up connection to disconnect after a given period of time of idleness. That would prevent the scenario you just described. Click on Start then Control Panel then NetWork Connections. Right click on the dial-up connection icon, then click on properties on the menu that comes up. Click on the Options tab near the left, then under the Redial properties part of the menu, you will see "idle time before hanging up" and to the right of it a little white box with a drop down menu arrow to the right of it. Click on the little arrow and select the amount of time. I have mine set to 20 minutes. This will cause the connection to disconnect if there hasn't been any internet traffic for 20 minutes or whatever time you have it set to.

I tried the system restore, but it would not let me use a date other than yesterday. I need to restore it as of July 31. How can I force the date? It had a calendar on the left, and to the right it had a date (which was yesterday when I tried) to restore it to.......

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

Try System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users