Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to backup remote client

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xxoorr

xxoorr

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

Hello,

here is my situation which I couldn't handle by far. I am trying to back up one of our remote clients server, to our internal company back up server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. 

We are using UrBackup for our internal systems, but with that program there are some issues when try to back up the remote server via internet - it said that the authentication failed, I am not able to find fix for that, so now looking for different software and will be great if it's open source, cause I bet you guys know how the companies don't like to spend money. 

So the client used to backing up with NovaNet but since is kinda old I am trying to implement better solution, I looked up Amanda project but it is not user friendly, a lot of commands and seems so harsh to configure. Any ideas someone who has been involved into that, I am trying to find some easy setup and reliable software, if non of the free programs would help me, I am able to spent some bucks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

What type of backups are you trying to do? Are they image based backups or just files? Never heard of UrBackup so not sure on that. A cheap(sorta) solution would be to get a Dropbox business account and have it installed on your server and theirs. Then just save the image or files or whatever UrBackup makes into the Dropbox folder and it will give you both cloud backup as well as on your local server :)

#3 xxoorr

xxoorr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

What type of backups are you trying to do? Are they image based backups or just files? Never heard of UrBackup so not sure on that. A cheap(sorta) solution would be to get a Dropbox business account and have it installed on your server and theirs. Then just save the image or files or whatever UrBackup makes into the Dropbox folder and it will give you both cloud backup as well as on your local server :)

Hi Vince, thank you for your answer.

I am trying to do full image and incremental file back up, UrBackup is open source solution with very poor support as expected and sometimes is getting errors which I am unable to resolve, and now I am looking for some better software, no matter if it's free or paid, the main thing should be to support both mentioned type of back ups and to be relatively easy to configure. What is the deal with Drop Box business account? As far as I know this is more like a storage space and it is not capable of doing incremental back ups overnight. 

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

Ok, so you're running Windows 2012R2 server and the clients connecting that want to backup are running into authentication problems. How many clients connect to the server that make backups? It can be AD authentication server side issues, firewall related, or licensing problems. Clients connecting to the server remotely tend to need a CAL for each client. There may also be a limit on how many can connect. The 3rd party commercial software that you use will also need licensing. This is the nature of the beast using Microsoft servers and commercial software. Open source doesn't necessarily mean that it is completely client/server license free.

Info on Microsoft server licensing...Here.

Urbackup commercial licensing.. Here.

Edited by technonymous, 17 July 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#5 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:19 AM

Hello,

here is my situation which I couldn't handle by far. I am trying to back up one of our remote clients server, to our internal company back up server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. 

We are using UrBackup for our internal systems, but with that program there are some issues when try to back up the remote server via internet - it said that the authentication failed, I am not able to find fix for that, so now looking for different software and will be great if it's open source, cause I bet you guys know how the companies don't like to spend money. 

So the client used to backing up with NovaNet but since is kinda old I am trying to implement better solution, I looked up Amanda project but it is not user friendly, a lot of commands and seems so harsh to configure. Any ideas someone who has been involved into that, I am trying to find some easy setup and reliable software, if non of the free programs would help me, I am able to spent some bucks. 

You might want a cloud solution. I know of a solution that might be affordable for you but I don't know what the forum rules on posting pricing and such looks like. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll give you the details. 

This is the solution I use for my remote clients and I have never had a recovery fail with it. It is worth the money. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users