Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN 7 cloned HDD - doesnt Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gregalberta

gregalberta

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:48 PM

I have an HP P7-1187C , Intel i5-2400, 8G, Windows 7 Home Ultimate

My original HDD starting getting disk errors and I was getting messages to replace the HDD.

I tried to use Microsoft Backup and after four days without a good backup I switched to Clonezilla.

I cloned the HDD to a USB connected drive using Clonezilla

I install a new Western Digital WD20EFRX 2T drive

Using System Recovery - Diskpart I created a 1T partition on the drive and formatted it using NTFS

Restored the clone image using Clonezilla restorepart

Booted up using the system Recovery DVD disk created by Microsoft Backup, used Diskpart to set the partition active, and the volume letter=c

I have used the Repair Startup option and it shows no errors to fix

I went into the command prompt and did 

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

when I do

bootrec /scanos   it doesnt find any Windows instalation.

I can boot the computer using the System Recovery DVD. When I go into command prompt I can see all of the files in c:

When I boot up using the hard disk, the cursor just flashes in the top left hand corner

One thing I did notice was when I was in Diskpart I did a Details Disk and it shows Boot Disk: No.   I cant find anywhere on how to change that to yes.

Is there anything else I missed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Is the new drive reflected as the boot drive in the BIOS boot settings?

Louis

#3 gregalberta

gregalberta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

Yes the HDD is defined as SATA0  and I have moved it up to the top of the boot order

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

A Windows 7 disk usually has two partitions, the 100MB System Reserved Partition marked Active and the Windwos Partition. When you created the cloned image did you use save disk and not saveparts?

clonezilla-tutorial-10.png

Then for the restore restore disk

clonezilla-tutorial-restore-10.png

Using this method partitioning and formatting the disk would not be needed. If you cloned a hard drive with bad sectors then you will get bad sectors on the cloned image.

I believe this computer has a UEFI GPT disk. I would recommend you create another disk image using Macrium Free and restore it to the 

new drive. You can do this with the drive attached to another computer using a USB enclosure or adapter. Or you can replace the old drive and create a disk image by booting from the Macrium Recovery disk or USB flash drive you can create on another computer. I believe Macrium Free has better support for UEFI GPT disks. 

Even using Macrium it may not be successful depending on the number of bad sectors on the old drive.

Edit: On a UEFI/GPT disk you would have a minumum of three partitions. The Fat32 EFI System partition as UEFI can only boot from FAT32. The MSR Microsoft System Reserved Partition, and the Windows partition along with any OEM recovery partition.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

dep-win10-partitions-uefi.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 July 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#5 gregalberta

gregalberta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

John_C21 thanks for the info, what I ended up doing was:

• reinstalled the original HDD as the second sata drive (sdb)
  • Using Clonezilla device-device mode
  • expert mode , selected rescue
  • then cloned sdb to sda 

It worked great took about 15 hours, after it was finished I had to boot from Windows System Repair Disk which recognized it had to fix the startup

It booted up right away and everything is there.

I looks like clonezilla created three partitions (same as original HDD) and I just have to partition the remaining disk space into another volume

Thanks for your help
Greg 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:01 PM

Your Welcome. Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for taking the time to post your solution. 

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

"...My original HDD starting getting disk errors and I was getting messages to replace the HDD..."

Have you replaced this errant HD yet?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 gregalberta

gregalberta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

Yes I did install a new HDD and then cloned the old HDD to the new HDD and then it booted properly (details in 10:20 post)

The problem is solved I am trying to close the topic...but cant find the close button.

Edited by gregalberta, 16 July 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

BC does not normally close topics. It allows a poster to add to the thread if they wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users