Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update hangs, CPU HOT!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joezapp

joezapp

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hi. Hopefully someone has resolved this and can help, as I see already that this problem has been around for a few months now. I have the Vista OS 32 bit.

My CPU started running very hot on Tuesday. Fan working hard continuous, caused by svchost.exe (Net Services) at a steady 49-51%. Turns out that the system was checking for the Tuesday updates. It took 24 hours! So Wednesday afternoon the computer was calm. Today the problem has returned, undoubtedly because I have the icon to install the updates. I clicked "install", and it hangs on "Downloading Updates, 0kb, 0%". This is 2 hours now.

This happened to a lesser degree last month as well, so there is clearly something not right about Windows Update that is heating up my CPU. This would not be happening if windows was not hanging while "checking for updates" and "downloading updates". I see that the patches KB3145739 and KB3153199, which solved it for many, were already installed in the previous updates. Thanks for any help with this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

I see that the patches KB3145739 and KB3153199, which solved it for many, were already installed in the previous updates.

Hi joezapp:

If the initial "Checking for updates..." phase of your Windows Updates run for long periods of time without throwing an error message, this is a common problem that currently affects many Vista users. On my 32-bit Vista system, I would see constant consumption of ~ 50% of my CPU by the the svchost.exe process (i.e., complete saturation of one of my dual cores) during the "Checking for updates.." phase of my Patch Tuesday updates. Process Explorer showed that all this CPU was being consumed by Windows Update service (wuauserv) and more specifically by a thread for the Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll).  My problem started in Aug 2015 - one month after the official release of Win 10 - and I would sometimes wait 5 or 6 hours before "Checking for updates..." reported that updates were available for download. See Kayla77's thread Processes in Task Manager During Updates for screenshots of CPU consumption on my system during one of these "Checking for updates..." hangs.

I've posted a possible solution to these "Checking for updates..." hangs in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  These step-by-step instructions are based on the workaround posted on Dalai's webpage at  http://wu.krelay.de/en/ and require users to pre-install the Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates listed on Dalai's webpage if any are missing from your system.  I see you found magicshaw's thread Help Update Problems... in this forum so I've posted a reply in post # 21 of that thread to address your specific concerns.

Note that Microsoft usually releases new updates for their Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) each month that replace older updates, so Dalai updates his list of required updates at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ every Patch Tuesday on the second Tuesday of the month.  You have to check Dalai's webpage each Patch Tuesday to see if there's a new Win32K.sys update released that has to be pre-installed before running Windows Update or your "Checking for updates..." hangs will just return the next month.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0.1 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 15 July 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#3 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Thank you so much, Imacri! This was extremely helpful, and my problem is resolved. I have Windows Update doing nothing automatically going forward, and I will wait for the KD that needs to be downloaded and installed each month.

Your problems were EXACTLY the same as mine. I had noticed high CPU usage (50%) on some rare occasions. After a few months of it, I tied it to Patch Tuesday. It really became a problem in June, as it became obvious that it was now taking much too long. And when "checking for updates" took 24 hours in July, something had to be done. Even the "download and install" was endless, and it even caused me to "blue screen". Quite obviously, Microsoft is making it harder and harder on those wishing to stay with Vista rather than move to Windows 10. 

Thank you again. You are wonderful!

Joe   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users