Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Obscure Sound Coming From PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Foxtain

Foxtain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

This is going to be a very vague description because this sound is literally impossible to record. It's not loud enough to be heard over the sound of my PC's fans, so stick with me.

Yesterday my desktop computer started making really odd clicking/cricket noises. They're very high pitched(but very quiet!) and occur in this odd pattern. The sounds occur in the pattern about every half a second in groups of 6's or 7's before pausing for about a second and starting another group. I'm 100% positive they're coming from my PC because they don't occur when it's off. 

As someone with misphonia, these sounds are not ignorable and genuinely makes it impossible to be in the same room with my computer when they occur. I've tried cleaning out my entire computer of dust and this did not yield any results. 

I'm almost positive it isn't an issue with a fan. My case fan and GPU fans do not work in the first place, and I've thoroughly inspected my Cooler's fan and there are no loose wires sticking into it or are even near it. It's as lonely as a fan can possibly be in a case. My temperatures are also okay, I only get about 19-20 C without any programs running.

I've done some extensive research online and have listened to many of the examples of sounds people have found with their PC. HDD Failure, CD Drive failure, etc, nothing even comes CLOSE to matching this sound. It's extremely obscure. I can probably compare it to someone scratching a piece of chalk up agaisnt a blackboard.

I'm also unsure of where in my PC it's coming from. It's honestly impossible to tell.

Computer Specs:
Case: Cooler Master Scout 2
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 960 2GB
PSU: Cooler Master V750
RAM: 8GB of Corsair RAM. Two sticks of 4GB. 
HDD: 3TB Seagate
CPU: AMD 8350
Cooler: Cooler Master EVO
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX AM3+ AMD

I built this computer in August of 2015. I wasn't expecting to have obnoxious issues like this for sometime.

If I really need to find a way to record it I will, but I honestly think it'll be REALLY difficult to considering how quiet it is and the fact I dont know where it's coming from. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

I would try unplugging your fans one at a time and see if the noise goes away. It could also be the motherboard chipset based on your description, but there's not much that you can do about that. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Foxtain

Foxtain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

I would try unplugging your fans one at a time and see if the noise goes away. It could also be the motherboard chipset based on your description, but there's not much that you can do about that. 

Like I said, my GPU and case fans don't work for whatever reason, despite being plugged in. And having my Cooler off isn't exactly optional.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,764 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

I've run across a few of these "mysterious" noise coming from various desktops.  Most were tracked down to the hard drive and resolved by loading the backup.  It appears that during the subsequent loading of a program, the writing to the drive reached a point where the heads rested idle over a spot that made a squeak just barely audible.  In the early days, some manufacturers used head movements on the hard drives in a manner that it sounded like a beep, signifying the end of a task.  I would look closely at the task manager and see which processes are active during the noise and that could be the clue to solving the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users