Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 refuses to open specific programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 27crimes

27crimes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

Hi all,

I've just come back from a week vacation without using my computer, and I've noticed there are a couple of things wrong. For one, to write this I'm using IE, which isn't my go-to browser. Problem is, my programs just started to refuse to open. I have no idea why.

I logged in 2 days ago and noticed some of my programs such as Google Chrome and Discord just refuse to open, no process is shown in Task Manager, and when I try and re-initialize them again it does the same thing, which is really frustrating. I scanned for viruses with my anti-virus, Kaspersky, and it said there was nothing wrong. A couple nights ago, updates were installed, but I have no idea what could have happened. I tried Windows 10 a couple months ago, didn't like it, reverted to 8.1, got rid of GWX, but when I came back from my holiday it was right back there in the tray. I have no idea what happened? All I know now is that nothing is working as it should be and I'm very angry.

I've been reading around and some of the options I had were refresh and or reset, and when I try to initialize any of them, they don't work. It's weird because before I left this option was perfectly fine. It's telling me I need installation media, which I don't have. I got this computer 6 months ago. I honestly have no clue what to do, I'm just really annoyed with this and it looks like I'm at a dead end when it comes to this stuff. Help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

If you need the product code for this installation (you usually will not) you can use Speccy to find it.

How to find your Windows product code with the Speccy Snapshot

Please download and install Speccy to find your Windows product code.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

speccy1_zpsrueynimp.png

Under Summary click on Operating System.

speccy2_zpsxmwtld56.png

The product code is listed as Serial Number:.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users