Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No free space on my hard drive need a free way to upgrade internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 deadmen2681

deadmen2681

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

No free space on my hard drive need a free way to upgrade internal hard drive space by using command prompt or something like that because i dont have the money to go out and by a new internal or external hard drive and all my free space in my clouds are filled to there limits of what i was offered for free and cant post a screen shot of my info but here it is 

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-3120m CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.89 GB Usable)

System type 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Pen and Touch no pen and touch 

there is my system info and my C drive my main hard drive is 0 bits free of 452 GBs and i thought doing ever expanding virtual hard disks would give me unlimited free space with out having to buy anything but find out that it doesn't and my computer keeps crashing and  keep getting error messages and cant run any diagnostics because i get error messages that those cant start or run either because of no space and i really need more space because i have critical computer updates waiting to be installed and also torrents that are all stopped because no free space  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

Free?  Reinstall windows :)

you could try, Disk Clean Up but that won't do much good.

Right click your C drive and go to Properties, Disk Clean up is about halfway down in the "General" tab.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

Well, you can compress some files/folders (Properties, general, advanced, compress). Some program may not work though.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

If you are 100% out of free space then something must be wrong. Disk Cleanup is a good start, but there may be something in there you must delete yourself.

#5 deadmen2681

deadmen2681
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

Viper_Security i run disk cleanup every day and have my laptop set up for a boot clean defrag for everyday as well and i'm down to only being able to delete system files to free more space and i'm not risking that again because last time i deleted the wrong thing and my computer stopped working completely  

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

Viper_Security i run disk cleanup every day and have my laptop set up for a boot clean defrag for everyday as well and i'm down to only being able to delete system files to free more space and i'm not risking that again because last time i deleted the wrong thing and my computer stopped working completely  

if you can go through your downloads & documents folders and see if you can delete stuff you don't need/want anymore, also empty the recycle bin.

that should help

If you are 100% out of free space then something must be wrong. Disk Cleanup is a good start, but there may be something in there you must delete yourself.

Agreed, if the disk is 100% full, something is wrong.

some

hQBT2G3.png

#7 deadmen2681

deadmen2681
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

yes that is the main issue my hard drive is slammed 100% full and i thought creating a  6tb VHD as ever expanding would be a cheat and a way around having no space left on my drive and i've deleted everything i possibly can think of

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

I would buy another larger drive, then clone you current drive to the new one.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

yes that is the main issue my hard drive is slammed 100% full and i thought creating a  6tb VHD as ever expanding would be a cheat and a way around having no space left on my drive and i've deleted everything i possibly can think of

You cant get more HDD space than it is rated, since its impossible, its like trying to drink water out of an empty water bottle

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#10 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

Sadly, there is no cheat way to add space to a hard drive. A virtual hard disk doesn't work in the way you thought it does. It still needs physical hard drive space.

If your hard drive is full the only way to allow more things to be written to it is to delete some of the things you have. You mentioned torrents, so it might assume you have quite a lot of data. If you don't want to buy a new drive you'll have to delete something. Someone else mentioned compressing files. (adding to a .zip or similar), but I'm not sure that I would recommend that.

Storage is cheap nowadays. A brand new 1TB drive would cost you maybe $50, with a 2TB being around $80. 

Really the only feasible options you have are to delete some of what you've got, or buy a bigger drive.

That is if your space has just been filled with your personal data. If the space has been filled by more mysterious means, then my first guess would be that virtual hard drive you made. Every GB of space you allocate to that VHD consumes an equal amount of GB on your actual hard drive.

#11 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Sadly, there is no cheat way to add space to a hard drive. A virtual hard disk doesn't work in the way you thought it does. It still needs physical hard drive space.

If your hard drive is full the only way to allow more things to be written to it is to delete some of the things you have. You mentioned torrents, so it might assume you have quite a lot of data. If you don't want to buy a new drive you'll have to delete something. Someone else mentioned compressing files. (adding to a .zip or similar), but I'm not sure that I would recommend that.

Storage is cheap nowadays. A brand new 1TB drive would cost you maybe $50, with a 2TB being around $80. 

Really the only feasible options you have are to delete some of what you've got, or buy a bigger drive.

That is if your space has just been filled with your personal data. If the space has been filled by more mysterious means, then my first guess would be that virtual hard drive you made. Every GB of space you allocate to that VHD consumes an equal amount of GB on your actual hard drive.

ahhhhh, just got back to the forums and read that he had a VHD of 6tb. it' cant happen it you only have a 450gb hdd, what ever you put onto that VHD like oklahsam had said, it takes up the exact amount of space on your physical drive.

hQBT2G3.png

#12 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

Another unhappy thing is that, if it is indeed the VHD that is taking up all the space, if you have put lots of your files on it then you won't be able to get them off to free up space unless you copy them off to a thumb drive or external drive. The hard drive has no free space for you to copy the files to. Deleting them from the VHD won't free up space either, because the space will still be allocated to the VHD. This may be quite the pickle you've gotten yourself into.

Edited by oklahsam, 14 July 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Check you Downloads folder, Documents folder, and Desktop for large unused files. You mentioned torrents, right? Those suckers can take up a lot of space. Same thing with the Downloads folder. Most users I help have multiple copies of the same files in the Downloads folder, thereby taking up a lot of space.

Edited by Gorbulan, 14 July 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#14 deadmen2681

deadmen2681
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Check you Downloads folder, Documents folder, and Desktop for large unused files. You mentioned torrents, right? Those suckers can take up a lot of space. Same thing with the Downloads folder. Most users I help have multiple copies of the same files in the Downloads folder, thereby taking up a lot of space.

yeah and ive cloned file cleaner and an empty folder cleaner as well and some of my torrents i cant get ride of because there no longer on the torrents sites i got them from 

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

yeah and ive cloned file cleaner and an empty folder cleaner as well and some of my torrents i cant get ride of because there no longer on the torrents sites i got them from 

If you have data that you regard as precious, then buy an external hard drive to put it on. Clearly you are running out of room on your main disk, something has to die or be copied off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users