Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New GPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to upgrade my gpu as the one I have (gtx 570) is rather old. After doing some research and bearing in mind the "thickness of my wallet" :mellow: I have decided 

for the gtx 960 which seems to be the best mid-tier card available; on every post that I read, the upgrade from the 570 to the 960 is highly advisable which suits me fine but,

I read as well, that the memory bandwidth (not the ram) is the MOST important feature in a GPU, now the bandwidth of the 570 is 34% better than the 960 and that has left me confused!...

IF the bandwidth is the most important feature to look upon then why is the 960 preferable to the 570 as the latter perfoms better than the former? makes no sense!

Can anyone please explain that to me and if possible confirm that the purchase is a sound one?

Thanks in advance,

Francisco.

PS: Should I acquire a NEW 570 instead?!

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2016 - 01:20 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

I always asked this question to everybody who wants a CPU or a GPU: What's your budget? If you're looking for a cheap GPU then I would recommend something like the GTX 750 or the GTX 970. The GTX 750 is a solid, cheap GPU for it's price. In my opinion the GTX 750 is as good as the GTX 960. However the GTX 970 is better than the 960, so I would go with the GTX 970 over the GTX 960 and GTX 750, but the 970 is a lot more expensive costing £200 at the moment according to GPU boss. 

I will provide links to these GPU's where you can look at them. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-960 

If your budget is cheap then I would go for the GTX 750. If it isn't cheap then I would recommend the 960.

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

It all depends on prices but R9 380 is clearly better choice than GTX 960.

And AMD's soon coming RX 470 and RX 460 may make every GTX 900-series (and GTX 700 series also) card obsolete.

For better performance, RX 480 custom is much better than 3.5GB GTX 970.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 14 July 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

This illustrates why GTX 900-series is not good choice for future:

CEv2XIm.jpg

Old news but still. Nvidia's architecture is years behind AMD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users