Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 New Monthly Charge for Enterprise Only

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

Only for Enterprises currently but still a big WOW. For an enterprise with 5000 seats $7 a month is not chump change.

For months Microsoft has been describing Windows 10 “as a service”  and now we know why. Microsoft is going to introduce a monthly subscription fee for Windows 10 use…

That cost will be $7 per user per month but the good news is it only applies to enterprises, for now. The new pricing tier will be called “Windows 10 Enterprise E3” and it means Windows has finally joined Office 365 and Azure as a subscription service.

The good news is Microsoft has gone on record to say it is not being passed down to consumers at this stage: “This new subscription model is not associated with our current upgrade offering or applicable to the Windows 10 consumer edition,” a Microsoft spokesperson told PC World.

Article

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2016 - 12:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

Wow talk about getting dragged over the coals...  This is ridicules... 

utl8q0-5.png

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:53 PM

Might want to edit the title to make it more clear that this only applies to enterprise editions of Windows.

Honestly though, if this keeps up I would not be surprised to see developers and consumers alike switching to Linux. I know I certainly will if M$ tries to force a subscription model on me.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

I already have Linux dual booting, if I have to, I will completely switch over to Linux if Microsoft uses subscriptions for consumer versions of Windows 10

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 14 July 2016 - 12:55 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:59 PM

Might want to edit the title to make it more clear that this only applies to enterprise editions of Windows.

Honestly though, if this keeps up I would not be surprised to see developers and consumers alike switching to Linux. I know I certainly will if M$ tries to force a subscription model on me.

I realized this after posting. Took if from the article but I can't edit titles. I will PM a moderator and add Enterprise.

Done - Louis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

Although it certainly going to end in such a way... I think the article in the first post doesn't (re)present the facts as they are...

Better articles: 
You can buy Windows 10 Enterprise E3 access for the price of a coffee

Announcing New Subscription Options for Windows 10 and Surface for Businesses

For customers, that means – in theory – access to Enterprise Windows for a low monthly fee and simpler licensing. Windows 10 Enterprise will continue to be sold through Microsoft's regular licensing and volume programs.

PS : No, I'm not turning into a Windows 10 fanboy but right is right...  :wink:

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

That explains things! Good thing, that Enterprise can still buy the edition the old way :)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

I wondered why the specification of "E3" was added to the end of enterprise... The wording of the article makes a little more sense now.

#9 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:27 AM

So if you have Enterprise now you will soon need to pay a subscription fee for it? 

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:39 AM

Not really. Think of it like Office. You can still buy Office 2016 Home, Personal or Student edition like normal. But, you can also get it through Office 365. Its like that for Windows. You can still buy it through volume licensing, or you can pay a subscription

Github | Keybase

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

Does anyone remember ms's claims about "we will never make windows 10 a subscription system", or did those explicitly say they wouldn't make non-enterprise versions into pay per day models.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

@rp88 considering there is a non-sub enterprise option, I don't think they broke promises.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Now the question is will Microsoft eventually do away with the non-subscription base enterprise option. I think it will happen eventually, possibly after 2025 which is Windows 10 end of life date.

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Post #12 and post #13 I was asking what I did in post #11 to try and work out whether they had specifically gone against something they had previously said or not. If they have then maybe we could expect them to make pro and home versions of windows 10 into subscription models. But in post #12 you say there is a non-subscription enterprise version, does that mean that rather than "converting existing paid for enterprise editions to subscription" they have "launched a new subscription product alongside the existing one off purchase enterprise version".
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

Post #12 and post #13 I was asking what I did in post #11 to try and work out whether they had specifically gone against something they had previously said or not. If they have then maybe we could expect them to make pro and home versions of windows 10 into subscription models. But in post #12 you say there is a non-subscription enterprise version, does that mean that rather than "converting existing paid for enterprise editions to subscription" they have "launched a new subscription product alongside the existing one off purchase enterprise version".

Yes, they launched it alongside their existing enterprise version. You can still get it through Volume Licensing and Software Assurance used by businesses the way you could before.  :)

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 03 August 2016 - 01:18 PM.

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users