Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Software for overwritten excel files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 armin961

armin961

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hello

a friend of mine have mistakenly saved and overwritten an excel file which has been her university project. Is there a chance of recovering the file before the state of changing and saving?

Please provide me with a software name.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:16 AM

Right click the file and select Properties. Look under the Previous Version tab. It will do a short scan and list any found.

Edit: Hindsight is 20/20 but for an important file such as the one your friend overwrote, it should always be backed up to two separate devices or even cloud storage such as dropbox or onedrive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

If the modified excel file was saved in place of the original excel file, it's possible that the original file [though in deleted condition] still exists on the hard-drive somewhere.  The less that Windows is used, the much better are the recovery chances, assuming the original excel file's byte-space was not actually over-written.  If the original excel file's byte-space was really overwritten, in part or in whole, recovery at best will in part or not at all respectively.  Years ago, I was able to bring back a 400-name Lotus 123/DOS file, losing only the last 50 names -- because said file was a "flat file," no formulas, no scripts, just rank and file filled with text.

JohnC and I posted at the same time; try his idea first!  If that quick-N-easy does not yield the original file, then onto the hard way.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 July 2016 - 11:19 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users