Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Application Errors on start up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kathyg21

kathyg21

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

I hope someone can help. After re-booting my Asus laptop the other day, it took ages to re-start and I got as far as the desktop which looked normal, but none of the applications or programs would open.  I kept getting Application Error message boxes popping up.  I can't even open Settings.  I can get into File Explorer.  I tried to perform a clean boot using the Media Creation tool but it just took me to a black box stating Missing Operating System.  I've tried re-starting several times, and sometimes I don't even get as far as the desktop, just a grey screen with the white cursor, which just hangs. Can anyone shed any light?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:56 AM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

When you say you tried a clean boot with the Media Creation tool, do you mean that you wiped the computer clean with it and tried to install W10? (or another OS?)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kathyg21

kathyg21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:53 AM

No. I tried to boot using the Media Creation tool that I'd downloaded onto a USB.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

I think we might have a difference in terminology - which makes this a bit more difficult.

When you run the Media Creation Tool, it will download a copy of W10 onto the flash drive.  Did you do that?

Did you download W10 or did you download another OS?  If so, what OS did you download?

Then, when you boot from the flash drive (in the affected computer), it will start to install Windows 10.  Did it do that for you?

Did the installation finish?  If so, did it have any errors while it was running?  If so, what were they?

Finally, what do the Application errors say?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kathyg21

kathyg21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yes. I tried to boot from the flash drive containing the Media creation tool which took me to a black screen stating Missing Operating System.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

If Windows works without any issue from Safe Mode then perform a clean boot to find out which service or startup application causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

In case you are unable to start the System File Checker and you instead get the “Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start the Repair Service” error, you may want to check up if Windows Modules Installer service has been Disabled. To do so, type services.msc in Start Menu search box and hit Enter. The startup type of this service should be set to Manual. Double click the Windows Modules Installer service name to set its startup type to Manual.

Windows Installer service will not work under Safe Mode, this means that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled in safe mode without giving a specific command using msiexec in command prompt.
To make Windows Installer work under safe mode, you need to create a registry entry for every type of safe mode you are logged in to.

• Safe Mode.
    Type this in a command prompt: [/size]

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

This will start the Windows Installer Service when Windows booted into Safe Mode with Networking .[/size]

•  
    REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer"  /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"

Type below command to start Windows Installer service
net start msiserver

Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Yes. I tried to boot from the flash drive containing the Media creation tool which took me to a black screen stating Missing Operating System.

OK, we're getting a bit closer here.

Did you place the flash drive into the USB slot BEFORE starting the system?

Did you access the Asus boot menu and select the flash drive to boot from?

On an Asus system, the key that will show the boot menu is usually either "Esc" or "F8"

#8 kathyg21

kathyg21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

Yes to the above. I placed the flash drive in before starting and selected it from the boot menu. That's what took me to the Missing Operating System message. The command prompt doesn't work from windows desktop so I can't use that to do anything. It just comes up with application application error message.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

OK, most likely the flash drive is not formatted correctly and either it doesn't have an operating system - or the system skipped it and tried to boot from the HDD (and it doesn't recognize an OS there.

The next step is to try booting from the flash drive on another computer.

It's safe to do this on another computer as long as you don't let it start installing Windows.
BE SURE YOU DON"T LET IT START!!!

FYI - sometimes a dead/dying hard drive can mess with the ability of a system to boot.
Also, what operating system first came on the laptop?  I'm asking to try and determine if yours is a BIOS or UEFI based system (W7 and earlier mostly used BIOS; W8 and later must use UEFI)

#10 kathyg21

kathyg21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

The laptop originally had windows 8 and I think you're correct in that I need to reformat the USB to uefi. How do I do that?

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

You can follow my instructions at below tutorial link to create a bootable Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 if you don't want to do it manually then use RUFUS program to create bootable USB flash drive for Windows OS.

Create Bootable Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 USB Flash Drive

Posted Image

#12 kathyg21

kathyg21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

Thanks. I will give it a try.

#13 kathyg21

kathyg21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

When I type list disk it doesn't show my USB drive, only my hard drive.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:01 PM

Connect USB flash drive to different USB port if that wont help then disconnect USB flash drive and open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu search box. Within Device Manager expand Disk drives  and from View tab and select Show Hidden Devices and under Disk drives uninstall driver for your USB flash drive if you don't know which if there is more then one uninstall all except the once that were showing before you have enabled Show Hidden Devices. Restart your computer and after you boot into Windows Desktop connect USB flash drive. If non of the suggestions works then there may be chance USB flash drive has died.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users