Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Congrats, Linux users you're finally officially alpha males... on Skype

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:17 AM

Microsoft-owned Skype today released a new Linux client that hopes to address some of the complaints users have had with the chat app for months.

The VoIP giant says the new alpha build of the Skype-for-Linux software can make and receive Skype calls from people running the latest OS X and Windows Skype clients and the alpha Linux version.

That should help alleviate the complaints lodged earlier this year by loyal Linux users who accused Microsoft of neglecting Skype on their preferred OS.

The improvement of OS X and Windows calling will come at a cost, however. Aside from the usual stability and performance disclaimers that come with using the alpha version of any application, Microsoft cautions that the new Skype client will not be backwards compatible with the old Skype for Linux. This means that alpha users will no longer be able to call other Linux users who run Skype version 4.3.0.37 and earlier.

"As you may have guessed by the name, Skype for Linux Alpha is not a fully functioning Skype client as of yet," said Skype community manager Claudius Heinrichs.

"We’re sharing it with you now as we want to get it in your hands as soon as possible, so we can continue to develop the new version together."

In addition to reenabling calls with Skype clients on other operating systems, the alpha build will introduce a new interface for Linux users.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/13/skype_linux_alpha/

I am so excited about this.....................Oh wait, no I'm not. This rates the same as Pokemon Go on my not impressed scale.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:37 AM

I am so excited about this.....................Oh wait, no I'm not. This rates the same as Pokemon Go on my not impressed scale.

Now that is funny. It amazes me seeing all these sheeple gazing at their phones and walking around trying to find cartoon characters. 

#3 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

:lmao: :hysterical:

Now that is funny. It amazes me seeing all these sheeple gazing at their phones and walking around trying to find cartoon characters.

One could make an argument that the only thing that has really changed is the addition of the cartoon characters (see bolded) :grinner:

That's also as opposed, of course, to us cool people gazing at our PC's/laptops and sitting around... :unsure:

DISCLAIMER-The above is all in jest... :thumbsup2:

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,158 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

funny enough I'm thinking of doing a parody let's play of Pokemon go but just stay in one place like my room or something like that and let the Pokemon come to me

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

I have to have Skype to keep in touch with the relatives far afield in Canada & Oz. They won't even hear of trying anything like Ekiga, or any of the other open-source alternatives; they're all firmly wedded to Windows, I'm afraid.

What can you do?  :rolleyes:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

@ Mike_Walsh....where in Oz ?...I can always slip around and have a whisper in their ear for you....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

@ Mike_Walsh....where in Oz ?...I can always slip around and have a whisper in their ear for you....

Hi, Brian.

Somewhere outside of Victoria, I believe. Uncle Frank and Auntie May emigrated over 25 years ago. I wish you luck, though.....you'll need it! Frank was one of those grumpy old buggers for whom nothing was ever right. The kind of person who's never happier than when he's got something to have a right good moan about (and just goes on, and on,  (and on) about it..!)

According to Aunt May, nothing in Oz is right, neither; the weather's too hot, he can't stand the food, he can't get on with the local government rules & regulations.....you get the picture. I wouldn't waste my time even trying to persuade him. Daft old goat..!  :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for Aunt May having to put up with him. I guess she must have seen something in him at some point; they're not that far off their golden wedding anniversary.....!!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 July 2016 - 06:37 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users