Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstalling backed up programs after system user config "corruption", plus how

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 onenil

onenil

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

well, totally screwed up my computer by adding and deleting user profiles in a misguided attempt to configure different profiles with different permissions. AFTER I realized that, backed up my programs/data (to the cloud, crash plan). I'm not worried about my docs, etc., but the programsdata file was surely affected by this and I'm not sure if it is safe to reinstall these programs that might make my registry etc. hinky (at least).

is it OK to reinstall these programs, or should I just start over? many of these were giveaway of the day programs that are year-long trials of programs i love, Process Lasso, etc.

additionally, I've never reinstalled from a back up cloud service. I didn't create a system image because, I reasoned, the system itself was the problem. so I backed up the c:programs and programs86 files instead. is it even possible to get them back on my computer by just copying them back, or are the dependent components in Windows system files and such going to preclude this? I've looked all over and can't find a clear answer. most seem to assume you made a backup of the system itself (or used the built in Windows file history tool). again, I didn't because I assumed it would be counter productive given the nature of the user configuration mess up.

can anyone help? sooner the better... should've asked yesterday but now find myself booting up and about to reinstall drivers.

I'm on Home 10 x64, I believe v. 1511 (?).

thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:04 AM

Did you reinstall Windows after after deleting the user account profiles?

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 onenil

onenil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:38 AM

Did you reinstall Windows after after deleting the user account profiles?

Yes, but I never completely removed the profiles, I believe, and because I somehow transferred my admin rights to some invisible user, I was unable to access BIOS and had no password. I had to take the battery out (CMOS?) and reinstall from my recovery media. So the files that were backed up still have the characteristics of the messed up configuration.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:05 AM

The BIOS settings store on CMOS battery has nothing to do with Windows user accounts.

If you just created new user then you can run programs installed on deleted user profile if there is no shortcut for a program on the Desktop then search Start Menu or start the program from directory you have installed and create a desktop shortcut for the program. 

- Dalai Lama

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:06 AM

If you have reinstall Windows with factory recovery media then all your programs and files deleted.

- Dalai Lama

#6 onenil

onenil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:09 AM

Right, but I backed up the program files in c:\programs and c:\programs_86 BEFORE I reinstalled Windows. I'm wondering if, because they were backed up at a time that the system was screwed up with the improper user configurations, they will run, and if so, will they make my spanky clean computer bad again. Is that clear now? Thanks.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:39 AM

How did you backup the install programs you cannot just copy and replace programs installed folders the programs executable files yes located in Programs and Files folder but not all what each program use files are not stored in Programs and Files folder also programs use registry to store there settings as well.

Edited by FreeBooter, 14 July 2016 - 02:41 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#8 onenil

onenil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:07 AM

OK well to bad; at least I have my docs etc. thanks. in the future, I take it, I should do system images only for backups? thanks.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:18 AM

Yes are very welcome, yes creating a image is best solution.

Creating a Windows Backup Image

Take Care!

- Dalai Lama

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:25 AM

One good thing the backed up program files and program files (x86):

-- to remind you of which programs you will be re-installing

-- a roadmap of where your re-installs will be going

Edited by RolandJS, 14 July 2016 - 06:26 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users