Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AMD Radeon Crimson Edition - Can we Uninstall it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Itchy01

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:06 PM

Hi all

For starters I'm not sure if I'm on the right forum so if I'm not, could a kind mod please move me?

My wife recently bought a Lenovo Ideapad 300-15ISK. Runs Win. 10 Home, version 1511.

A couple of days ago, as she tells me, a popup appeared in the lower-right corner of her screen offering an AMD Radeon update. Not having seen it myself I don't know what it looked like or what it said, but it sounds as if it were a matchbox-sized popup, like Norton throws up whenever it's inspected a newly downloaded app.

She clicked on it thinking it was an important update (all our 3 laptops - including a 2012 Toshiba Satellite of mine have a "AMD Radeon" sticker on them) and a larger popup (in part) informed her it would take some time. Not having time on that day she closed the second window. The same small popup appeared over the next couple of days and - still not having time - my wife ignored it.

Today, however, having time she clicked "update". She had checked with me first and I agreed yes, update, because I too thought it would be essential drivers for the laptop. First thing I got worried about was the size of the download (we're on metred wireless broadband). It was about 1.3 GB, and after the download had finished and the computer restarted (we had been following the instructions on the download window) more kept downloading. I got her to take her laptop offline for the time being until I checked what was happening.

The following have been noted:

• A Raptr icon is on the desktop.
  • On booting laptop, a popup appears inviting login to "Gaming Evolved Powered by Raptr" with the login space already filled in with 18 characters neither I nor my wife put there. There is a long line of dots in the password space. (We simply close the popup).
  • The Control Panel/Programs & Features shows the following created today (14/7/16):
    • AMD Install Manager (26.3MB) Version
    • Raptr (184MB) Version 5.2.1-r114509-release
  • These folders created today (14/7/16):
    • Windows C:/ AMD (892MB) - Contains folder "Packages" which contains folders "Apps" and "Drivers".
    • Windows C:/Program Files/AMD (92.8MB)
    • Windows C:/Program Files (x86)/AMD (54.9MB)
    • Windows C:/Program Files (x86)/Raptr (0Bytes)
    • Windows C:/Program Files (x86)/Raptr Inc (368MB)

As neither my wife nor I have any interest in gaming and wish to avoid future heavy downloads, can anyone enlighten me as to what might have happened? Is it safe to uninstall what's on Control Panel/Programs & Features or will that cause problems with the laptop's normal functioning?

EDIT: Regarding download size, I'd have imagined that would be signaled under "system requirements". The AMD webpage "How-To Install AMD Radeon™ Software on a Windows® Based System" (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Install.aspx) says: "For information about the system requirements refer to the AMD Radeon™ Software release notes. Release notes are linked on the driver download page." But, taking, for instance, page "Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.7.2-Release-Notes" (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.7.2-Release-Notes.aspx) there is nothing signalling download size there.

Edited by Itchy01, 13 July 2016 - 11:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:49 PM

It's not a virus, most likely. AMD Bundles Raptr along with crimson now, so you must make sure to choose a "custom install" method and un-check the "AMD Gaming Evolved App" in the list of items to install.

You may remove raptr if you're not going to use it. Keep AMD Install Manager though, as it is a vital piece of your Video Drivers.

Additionally, if you are not experiencing issues with your display, there is no need to update your video drivers.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users